Storring a 4 piece rod

G

goodeyesniper

How do you guys store your 4 piece rods? I have a 4 piece rod and i have a cabelas tube holder for the rod but what do you do with the reel if it has leader on it? Do you just real the leader onto the "spool" (i put quotes because I am new to FFing and I am not sure if its called a spool like spin fishing) or how do you do it? Because I have no more leader left so I don't want to take it off or anything. Thanks.

Kyle

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The reel issue is there for two, three, one, etc piece rods too. But yeah, just reel the leader on to the spool. If there is a better way to do it, I don't know it, because that is something I never really thought about.

I store all of my rods in protective tubes or on a rod rack at home.

yeah i just reread that post and feel like an idiot haha. But yes what to do with the reel. And okay thanks! I heard it can get tangled and stuff but I will give it a try

I take the reel off and store in it's pouch, rod it in it's tube.

You can leave the leader on I dont think it will hurt anything- you could take the leader off I guess if it is a loop to loop connection so it does'nt have a coiled up memory. It would only take a few seconds.

I just straighten out mine on each use- there are peices of plastic or leather called leader straighters or some such but you can do it but the friction of you hand.

acristickid gives good advice. Keep the rod in the tube and the reel in it's case when you are not using them. Leader straightners are a small expense and they are very handy. I always use mine before I hit the water to fish.

If you feel like you'll use the same leader next time out, just reel it all in. The coils on your reel are probably no tighter than they'd be in a leader wallet...

Reel it in, stretch it out when you use it next. Or don't, if you're lazy. It'll work pretty well, either way.

As to storing, I assume you mean your rod tube doesn't have a pouch on it to leave the reel on the butt end when you put it away? Doesn't matter. Its a time saving step, and nothing else.

Some guys buy a reel pouch, some guys use a Crown Royal bag. Some people just throw 'em in the back of the car and don't care.

I've never done it - but I read a magazine article a few years ago that recommended taking the line off of the reel, and stretching it out somewhere for long term storage - like over the winter.
Supposed to make it more user friendlly the following year.
Has anyone tried this?

dryflyguy wrote:
I've never done it - but I read a magazine article a few years ago that recommended taking the line off of the reel, and stretching it out somewhere for long term storage - like over the winter.
Supposed to make it more user friendlly the following year.
Has anyone tried this?

I have read one or two posts over the years by guys that do this. I recall some of them going as far as doing it after each outing. Maybe I made that up, but it's what I remember.

Seems a bit compulsive to me, and my ADD prevents me from really spending too much time on anything like that.

I think its a carry over from the days of silk lines, where you HAD to put them on a dryer lest they rot on you.

I've got a well used line that appears to have solidified into perma coils, when it warms up a bit I'll see if I can stretch it back into perfection or not. Its a couple years old, and hasn't seen any use in probably 8 months now, so it'll be interesting to see how it fairs after being coiled on a standard arbour reel for so long.

Put a little zipcast on it and stretch it. I bet it'll work.

Thanks everyone! I got a simms neoprene little pouch case for it. Thanks!!!!!!!

Don't forget to use tippet on the leader, that way you are not shortening your leader

I didn't have any tippet on it because it was a new leader!!!! Thanks!!! everyone!

Well, the general method is reel it up, take reel off and put in pouch, put rod in tube, as explained.

Lots of places sell rod tubes that can include the reel. I have a double rod case like this and its nice, my 2 most used rods keep the reel on and strung up, even the fly still on and just reeled to the tip top. Would be tricky with a 4 piece, though...

pcray, be carefull leaving fly on tip top while in case. I did that several times when moving from one site to another. Untill the fly snaggged the inside of the tube. Luckily it only broke about 3/4 of an inch off of the tip top of my 5wt TFO. An easy fix with some hot glue.

Not telling you what to do. Just saying.

I've gotten a handful stuck to the inside of the tube. Never broke a rod, though. Well, at least, not that way. :)

goodeyesniper wrote:
I didn't have any tippet on it because it was a new leader!!!! Thanks!!! everyone!

Actually you do. A new out of the pack extruded leader has 50% butt, 25% body and 25% or so of tippet. Thus when you buy a 9ft 5x leader, you have about 2 feet of tippet built into the leader. You want to add tippet before you start getting into the body of the leader.

Penn makes a rod and reel cleaner which I use on my salt water tackle.I see no reason that this would not be good on fresh water gear as well,Makes the rods shine and likewise the reels look great.I'm sure other compaNIES MAKE SIMiLAR PRODUCTS.GG

Back