Stone Flies

W

wsender

Does anyone have a recipe that isn't too overly complicated?

Sandfly has a pattern for stones thats simple and works every where. I took it to montana and hammered the fish there.

I saw the ones he posted in the Steelhead thread. Maybe he'd be kind enough to post a step by step *wink wink nudge nudge*

If ya can wait till the begginin of the week I'll do a step by step for ya. Have family comin up for a few days and won't have time . tryin to get ready for them. OR just drive on down next week for a demo.........

Have you tried the "rubberlegs" stonefly? Its very easy and very effective. Here is a link to a picture of it:

http://www.idylwilde.com/html/fly_gallery.php?category_id=6&subcat_id=4&page_num=4

I tie it as follows:

1 - lead wire around hook shank
2 - tie in chenille at the hook bend
3 - tie in the tails, legs, and antennae (in that order)
4 - wrap the chenille forward without trapping the rubber legs

Its a fun fly and way easier than some of the other options for stonefly nymphs. Hope this is helpful.

Basically, just tie an oversized hare's ear with good segmentation in the abdomen. Use vinyl rib for this. You want a good contrast in size between the abdomen and thorax. Do any of the following depending on the amount off time you want to put in...

Biots, rubber or split a hares ear tail for the tail and/or antanne. Pick out the legs, use hen, partridge or rubber for the legs. Some people tie in three wing cases, but I wouldn't worry about it. Thin skin or your standard turkey should do it.

No rush sandfly, I just appreciate you're doing it for us!

BH Black stone:

Tail: two black biots or rubber leg material
Rib: red, black, or copper wire
Abdomen: black dubbing
Thorax: black dubbing
Wing case: black swiss straw or thin skin
Legs: rubber legs or biots

BH Golden stone:

Tail: yellow quills
Body: yellow chenille
Rib: black wire
Wing case: thin skin
Thorax: yellow chenille
Legs: yellow quills

Touch it a few dozen times with a black sharpie after tying.

Rubber legs, antennae, etc are definitely the way to go. Only been tying about 6 months and found biots made it overly complex. I figure we are fishing stones in fast water so they aren't getting a great look at them.
Jays suggestion on black stone is dead on and the way I have been tying them.

Back