Steelhead rod?

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

I'd like to get into fishing steelhead around Erie. I hear that the perfect rod would be a 9'6" or 10', 7 weight... I've also been told that my 9' 5 weight would be fine. Would you guys think I should invest in a new rod or stick with the one I have? I'd like to plan on fishing up there at least a handful of times a year. My buddy has also been on me to go up to Polasky, NY for salmon. Any input would be appreciated.

2 different water sheds and 2 different rods needed. for Erie a 6-8 wt. is fine for the salmon a 8-10 wt for big water is best. an 8wt is the best all around for up there and you can chase bass, pickerel, small musky, and carp too. I use my 9' 8wt. (orvis T3 mid flex) most times while fishing both areas..

10' 7 wt is perfect for indicator fishing for steelhead. If you'll be fishing a few times a year for steel, I would get a 10' rod. The extra foot goes a long way allowing you better line control for longer drifts. I can't address Salmon fishing as I've never done it. If you want one rod for both I would do as Sandfly suggested and get an 8 wt. My first rod was a 9' 8 wt and I used it for steelhead, large mouth, and small mouth. You'll be able to fish for steel with a 9' foot rod no porblem and it can do double duty in the summer for bass. A 10' rod is better for steel, but not required.

I have fished erie several times with my 9' 5wt and come away successful 3 of the 4 times. Not having a fighting butt truly sucks if you get into a bigger fresh fish, but other than that it is do-able. I am getting a 10' 7wt in the near future though.

Who makes a fair priced 10' 7 or 8 weight? The little bit I have researched, I haven't seen many in my price range. Really don't wanna spend more than $100-$150 for a rod I won't use more than a handful of times a year. Thanks for the replies and any more input.

There are plenty available in that price range and I don't really think you need to be that selective for a steelhead rod.

Check out the Redington rods. They have models in your price range for sure.

Wild Water makes a 7' 10 wt and a 9' 6" 8 wt for a little ofver $100.

a 10' 7 wt is ideal for everything, its all i use on the sr even at the tail end of salmon just break them off.

a cabelas rod would be good as they have the forever warranty
next is orvis at 25 years

I'D GO 10' 8Wt.... length will let you protect your lighter tippets and a 7wt on a salmon is definitely weak... really i'd do 10' 7 and 10 wts

think hard about your price range......the best deal I have found is the orvis clearwater II....I bought it in 10' 7 wgt for steelhead....it is a little above your price range right now but comes with a 25 year warranty.....I broke it earlier this year payed $40 to send it back and got a new rod.....its kind of middle of the road quality wise but I don't notice having never cast a helios

So for the next 25 years I'll be able to get a $200 rod (roughly) for $40 dollars if and when I need it.

If I would have spent the $125 dollars on both rods I would have broken even right now.

I would definitely check into rods with warranties even if they are above your price range......consider it a long term investment

Good advise so far... What is everyones opinion on the fighting butt?

On my steelhead rod I built i put 1 on it. I never bring the rod into my chest and always use alotta of side pressure. It's a different story on my 10wt. I use for musky. I always pull the rod butt in when fighting a fish.

10' rod is so heavy. Tip and all. really, it makes a difference.

I put a 2" removable fighting butt on my 10' 7wt steelhead rod. If you want to tackle salmon go with a 8 or 9 wt. They can beat up a 7wt at least my 10' bamboo, you can hold them but i like the 8 and 9 wts.

v/r

Joe E

there is a 10' 6wt on the swap forum.

Anyone have experience with a Cabelas LSi rod? They have 9'9" 8 weight with fighting butt on sale.

Back