Starting up

I'd stay away from the Danvise. The cost is right for a rotary vise but the jaws are to soft and will spread open. On the plus side they did send me a replacement jaw at no cost. All it took was one email.
I won't install the new jaws until I've case hardened them.
I don't know how I ever got along without a rotary vise and like I said the price is right. But the jaws do need case hardening.

can you use the brown and white turkey feathers and the small feathers on a turkey that have a copperish color to them on the one side as well

Use whatever gets the job done. I bought the crappiest dyed craft store goose feathers the other day just so I could have some sllps available in garish primary colours without spending alot.

I was gonna say my father-in-law gave me some turkey feathers and I can get all kinds of other materials like rabbit, deer, maybe elk hair from the elk farm out here on 26. A buddy of mine his neighbors has peacocks out in chambersburg.

Great adcvice thus far, but also find some fly tyers. They usually share. Things to stay away from: Road kill. Illegal to pick up and has mites that will eat all of your purchased stuff as well. Don't use taxidermy hair unless they use Arsenic free solutions. Bad enough being laid off don't need arsenic to top it off. Also there are a ton of people that think they are all into tying and then just don't do it. They are your best friends right now so take your time and shop around. Some good advice was already given, especially buying materials just for a certain pattern. Stay away from kits. Too much stuff you won't use. Any pattern included jungle cock..just throw that pattern away! Good luck shopping!!

Back