sow bugs

www.performanceflies.com/category-s/111.htm

This is what I use. I have caught a lot of fish, just dubbing both those Sow bug colors.

Not as pretty as OldLeftys, but it works. Then again everything he ties is perfect looking.

Yeah, the one's that aren't so pretty go into his box.

OH, no! My secret is out! ;-)

On the other hand, come on guys. I can't say I've ever seen what I would call a pretty cress bug pattern. Buggy's the word.

OldLefty wrote:
On the other hand, come on guys. I can't say I've ever seen what I would call a pretty cress bug pattern. Buggy's the word.

I could not agree more. It needs to create the illusion of life and pretty bugs don't cut it. Why do you think chewed up flies seem to catch more fish than freshly tied ones? Just ask H-A, my Stimmie is no longer pretty, in fact it's downright scraggly looking and it catches fish maybe better than right off the vise! Took me a long time to learn that (but we all know I'm a bit thick anyway) so cut down your learning curve and take this man's advice to heart!

ok, i wish i could take close up pictures with my 1998 2 mp digital camera... i would show you what they look like.

widdled out 2 colors, grey and tan. i guess the tan would be the walts worm made out of mink, very spikey and buggy looking.

the grey dubbing looks close but not as buggy, need to buy some of that dubbing you guys posted thanks!

here's one I carry for SC Pa.

Attachments

• DSCF4203.JPG
    DSCF4203.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 6
peacock herl palmered forward, with a tiny strip of thin skin on the back. Done.

the trick to that whole fly is the dubbing color IMO
but how do you know which is the right color and do they vary from stream to stream ?
or are they the same as any isopods that real pale grey

I tie mine in 3 colors and 3 sizes 14,16,18 in Gray,Olive Gray,Olive

I mix grey, antron and burnt orange squirrel hair for dub. Tan scud back for 'shell', and 70 denier drk brown thread for ribbing. Imagine a humphrey cress bug minus the hackle. Its hard to find a more buggy sow bug than that.

http://donbastianwetflies.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/cress-bug/

This is a great looking fly!

Same one was posted on pg 1. The man he references is OldLefty.

Thanks for pointing that out. Should have looked before posting!

When you read friend Donnie's comments he relates to the overback he incorporates in his pattern. When I worked up my pattern I observed the real critters in water. I noticed that, in their natural environment, their carapice can be slightly concave. When we tie in an overback material and secure it in place by ribbing the result is the back of the fly is convex (curved down). It was then that I realized that including an overback could give an impression contrary to the natural.

No question, overbacks look good; they're just not necessary and, I believe, they don't really increase the effectiveness of the pattern.

Thanks for the info OldLefty!

Back