Something better than a vest?

troutwilleatflies,

Like you, I am in my "golden years" but I have a broken down body so I had to shed every ounce of weight, including my vest. So I became inventive and converted a Field & Stream fanny pack into a sling pack that I bought at K-Mart for a whopping 5 bucks, and it couldn't have worked out much better.

It holds 4 fly boxes in the main compartment (3 if I replace one with a sandwich) and tippet material, split shot, strike indicators, extra leader, spare forceps etc. in the two front compartments. I attached a clipper and sheepskin pad to the outside, and I carry a water bottle on the back sling with a carabiner. I also attach a wading staff with carabiner to the front of the sling.

Like I said, this couldn't have worked out much better for me, practically don't even know it's there.

where do you guys put the beer?

In my belly, or the creek to keep it cold.

I'm with Pcray on this. I wear a chest box and lanard for about 90% of my troutfishing. It's pretty much all I need. I do wear a William and Josef vest pack if I'm going to be away from the vehicle for a long time. This is to carry all of the stuff I might need, but never do need.

I don't think a fanny pack would work me. It would be soaked from wading. I do sometimes use a small army surplus pouch on a shoulder strap for brookie fishing.

In my bait fishing for trout days, I used a sling or 'satchel' to hold my jar of live minnows and all my stuff. This in mind, I tried a sling pack
by either william Joseph or who ever. I just couldn't make it jibe with my style. I am, however, thinking the patagonia Atom Sling may be the best alternative to a vest that isn't a 2-sided, non chest pack.

Sylvaneous wrote:
In my bait fishing for trout days, I used a sling or 'satchel' to hold my jar of live minnows and all my stuff. This in mind, I tried a sling pack
by either william Joseph or who ever. I just couldn't make it jibe with my style. I am, however, thinking the patagonia Atom Sling may be the best alternative to a vest that isn't a 2-sided, non chest pack.

Sylv,
Check out the link I posted above. Vedavoo is an awesome company. Everything is really well thought out and made in the USA. Scott is great to work with and will customize a pack with anything you want and any color combination.

Gone_Phishin wrote:
Sylvaneous wrote:

Sylv,
Check out the link I posted above. Vedavoo is an awesome company. Everything is really well thought out and made in the USA. Scott is great to work with and will customize a pack with anything you want and any color combination.

X2 on Vedavoo. Awesome gear, and moderately priced. If you do decide on them. Tell them John and Joel sent ya.

You might look at this for a chest pack solution: http://www.tals-fishing.com/TALS-600.cfm

Adopted in an effort to lighten and re-distribute my load. Very lightweight. Made in PA. Unique fly attachment system. Nice working platform. Excellent price point. It's great on a pontoon or float tube. Very handy for wading the river, too (though it does force me to move my .44 from my chest to my underarm). Since I have to have a backpack on me at most times, the bigger stuff that I can't put in this chest pack has a home, anyhow.

Used it for two seasons, now. Don't think I'll sell it.

Back