Some trout move after stocking- article from Post Gazette

-----------------------------------------------------
Detar said the research offers clear insight for anglers.

“I don’t know if there’s one right answer on how to find them. In general, stream sections with better habitat — log jams, undercut banks — have better stocked trout residency,” he said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Clear insight for stream management too. Quit mowing near the stream. Let the trees and shrubs grow. And when the trees fall in the creek, leave them in there, to provide good trout habitat.

Well duh they move..........to peoples' freezers!!! I know streams with this "residency" issue. So should I contact the PFBC about it? I mean, they did ask us to send in our comments to "the fishing hole" if we know of any streams with trout residency problems lololol.

I've caught and seen stockies in some unexpected places far from where they were stocked. Lack of habitat could be the culprit, or maybe the creeks have water quality issues(some Tionesta and Clarion tribs for example......quite a few stocked brookies move out because of acidity problems), and I think some fish just move for the heck of it.

troutbert wrote:
Clear insight for stream management too. Quit mowing near the stream. Let the trees and shrubs grow. And when the trees fall in the creek, leave them in there, to provide good trout habitat.

+1

But then people will get mad because they'll keep getting their powerbait snagged in the trees, and they don't want to bust through the brush........so they'll quit fishing the stream. Then the PFBC will say the creek no longer gets "utilized" so they'll quit stocking it. Well, that can be a good thing in many cases....

It kind of made me laugh; especially the bit about trout moving to good holding water. Shocking!! The funny thing is I've caught fresh stocked rainbows over a 1/4 mi. from the stocking point a few hours after they were placed in the water, and on a stream with decent habitat. Reminds me of a study where they spent 20 grand to determine women took longer in the bathroom than men; who knew?

Back