Soft Hackle

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So I have been trying my patience with soft hackles. On my two most recent trips to the Gunpowder, I had success with this fly when fish were popping everywhere but no bugs to be seen except tiny little black midges. I for one don't really enjoy fishing with size 28 dries to rising fish.

I came up with this after a recommendation from wetfly1. I tied it in size 16 on both a 2xl curved nymph and 1xl nymph hook.

Thread: UTC 70 rusty brown
Tail: Mallard flank
Abdomen: Light hares ear
Thorax: Dark hares ear
Rib: Fine gold oval tinsel
Soft hackle: Partridge

I bought a cheap pack of partridge feather2 just to goof off with, and I liked it so much I just ordered a hungarian partridge skin...can't wait...might arrive tomorrow.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC_0261.JPG
    DSC_0261.JPG
    814.2 KB · Views: 11
That'll fish well for sure. Tear off the tail and you have a good caddis imitation in a pinch.

It probably doesn't make much of difference, but most soft hackles are tied on standard length hooks. Because they're often fished on the swing, a bigger hook gape should help when they're hit hard

hares ear soft hackle , yeah it'll work , very popular fly

I tied some tonite without the tail to use this weekend as caddis imitations.

Thanks for the tip bam

Very nice fly!! Different hooks give the fish a different look. I tie many of my nymphs and soft hackles on different hook. That fly was working well on Resica Falls last week under the same conditions you had on the Gunpowder.

I tie that one without a tail and grease the leader when caddis are hatching. They'll hammer it in the film.

I've never done a dubbed body, I usually do peacock herl or more likely floss.

Yellow floss, especially, takes on a translucense when its wet that's really neat, but you need to remember to use white thread, not black.

jayL wrote:
I tie that one without a tail and grease the leader when caddis are hatching. They'll hammer it in the film.

Good tip Jay I'm gonna try it next time I'm out.

I tied a few of these and picked the dubbing out and fished it near the bottom with weight. No takers. Maybe doing as you said will produce different results.

To date my biggest rainbow and biggest brown have come on a "tailess" version of that fly. Spend some time with it, you wont be sorry.

Back