Snakehead on the Fly success thread

Fly fishing for snakeheads is far from easy and today was no different. I had one of those why didn't I try that fly earlier moments. I was fishing for about three hours before I decided to tie on a new fly I created last week. Once I tied it on I hooked two fish in less then twenty minutes and the takes weren't breathtakingly hard and vicious. Thes fish were very big but they definitely made up for when they hit . Biggest one was a tad shy over three pounds

1jBaCC.jpg
SlKGt7.jpg

Nice job, Fred! Yep, you gotta give those new creations a swim. There are times when they can be total gamechangers. Good stuff!

dc410 wrote:
Nice job, Fred! Yep, you gotta give those new creations a swim. There are times when they can be total gamechangers. Good stuff!

Thanks , how's the carpin ? I found the perfect mulberry spot while stalking snakeheads with tons of carp there but oddly they wont eat the berries LOL.

afishinado wrote:
Hey Fred,

You're proving that snakehead fishing is easy! Great job!

Thanks Tom I watched one of them zoom over like a torpeedo from about twenty away to smack my new fly I believe its going to be a proven catcher.

Fredrick wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Hey Fred,

You're proving that snakehead fishing is easy! Great job!

Thanks Tom I watched one of them zoom over like a torpeedo from about twenty away to smack my new fly I believe its going to be a proven catcher.

Deweeeeze Diver - the snakehead killer!

Submit it to Orvis.

I'll send you the paperwork.

You'll be faymuss!!....as well as rich!! :lol:

Any chance we can get a look at this magic fly? It's rare to hear of consistent snakehead catches on the fly. If you aren't willing to share a pic of the fly, in general what is it imitating, a frog? Just looking to store some info in my head for next time I go after them (no idea when that will be).

sarce wrote:
Any chance we can get a look at this magic fly? It's rare to hear of consistent snakehead catches on the fly. If you aren't willing to share a pic of the fly, in general what is it imitating, a frog? Just looking to store some info in my head for next time I go after them (no idea when that will be).

Cant say that it imitates anything it just pushes water and these fish hunt off vibrations

Fredrick wrote:
dc410 wrote:

Thanks , how's the carpin ? I found the perfect mulberry spot while stalking snakeheads with tons of carp there but oddly they wont eat the berries LOL.

Life has gotten in the way of the carpin' for the past two months. I had a great year with the berries. Took quite a few on top. I would like to get out and stick a few more this year. Hope I get the chance.

Sorry to I hope everything works out and you get a chance to get out soon. I don't know about you but I get pretty cranky if I don't get to fish for a while

Thanks for the reply Fredrick, good to know vibrations are that important!

Number 18 for the year hoping I get twenty. Might be a feat with this crazy weather .
P74ekN.jpg

Number 19'one more to go
DH5wUc.jpg

jifigz wrote:
Another nice little fish Frederick!

Hardly call a 4 lb fish little

Frederick, do you mind sharing where you catch your snakeheads or are they honey hole locations? My nephew wants to catch one in the worst way but I don't know much about where to find them.

If you are in Lancaster closest place for you would be the susky flats but I'm not sure how thick they are in there yet and what are the hot spots but they will always be found in the weeds

Fredrick wrote:
jifigz wrote:
Another nice little fish Frederick!

Hardly call a 4 lb fish little

Didn't look all that big in the picture, so my mistake. Either way all things are relative. Snakeheads have piqued my interest for quite a few years.....still haven't fished for them.

You will never look at other freshwater fish the same again once you do. https://www.facebook.com/fred.dewees/posts/10209695544575296

19?? That's insane. I've never heard of anyone catching that many on the fly. Really awesome stuff! Now tell me what the secret is and give me your spots LOL.

(Don't actually do that ;-) )

Back