Smith Optics Lenses (Chromapop)

Backcountry has (maybe had) a good sale running on Smiths.

I picked up a pair of Guide's Choice Howler frames with Chromapop+ lenses.

I haven't fished them yet but I wore them all weekend on vacation. They're a big improvement over my scratched to all get-out Oakleys.

^ Chromapop+ was a good choice. Regular Chromapop is polycarbonate while C+ is Trivex. Not to say the polycarb is not also quite good. Smith has been quite vague about this over the years.

Hiplain, FYI costa's plastic lenses are cr-39, not poly. The p is for plastic. At least in the non prescription versions, not sure what they use in rx. They make poly lenses too, but they brand them Native, not Costa. Kind of like how Smith brands it's straight poly Cloudveil.

Mj makes like 5 lens materials these days, and brands them all MJ, but there's still the big price differential. Glass, poly, and 3 different proprietary trivex clones.

I don't have experience with the smiths. But I've had MJ's and costas and, aside from clarity and chromatic aberration, the polarization on glass is superior to any of the plastics. The reason isn't the filter, but rather bi-refringence. The stress in the plastic changes the polarization angle of the light before it gets to the filter. And stress is variable throughout a plastic lens, leading to variable cancellation of horizontally polarized light. Injection molding helps, but the only way to get rid of it in plastic is to have the polarization on the outside, and no quality company does that for obvious reasons. But tempered glass in a stiff frame does the trick. For fishing purposes, I'll except no less than glass. Sports are a different matter, as impact protection gains importance.

A test for that is wear a pair of polarized glasses. Cheapos are fine. Hold the 2nd pair, the ones to be tested, at arms length in front of a computer screen and turn them. All polarized pairs go dark, obviously. But does it do so evenly? All glass lenses I ever had do. All plastic, good or bad, are blotchy.

Smith, Costa, and MJ all three do the fancy light cancelling trick at certain wavelengths. Smith calls it chromapop. Costa 580. MJ "polarized plus2" or something. It works, but I wouldn't say it's super important to me. Saturates colors more, especially green and red, without altering other colors to do it (can be done in a gray lens). Contrast is improved a little.

I am still considering a pair of Smith low light ignites in glass, though. I have a pair of MJ in HT color. Nice in cloudy conditions, but not truly a low light lens in morning or evenings. Costa doesn't make it's sunrise color in glass.

Can your eyes really pick up on all this...I have very good vision (at the moment) and I find the Chromapops as good if not better than my Costa 580 glass lenses. And I own two pairs of Costa and six pairs of Smiths.

Costa 400 Blue Mirror
Costa 580 Silver Mirror
Smith Chromapop+ Ignitor
Smith Low Light Ignitor
Smith Chromapop+ Grey/Green
Smith Chromapop+ Brown
Smith Techlite Blue Mirror
Smith CR-39 Interchange lenses

Big Bass. Regarding glass, in terms of clarity I think I see a slight advantage glass. Not sure if I'd pass a blind test to prove it against the higher end plastics.

In terms of polarization and scratch resistance, yes.

Btw, nice glasses lineup. Give MJ glass a try at some point. They blow away my costa 580g green mirror lenses. Clarity and polarization about equal but the MJ's alter color less, have more light transmission so suitable in variable light, have better coatings to stay clean, less back reflection, and much sturdier frames. Comparing MJ Peahi in HCL bronze vs. Costa Fathom in 580g green mirror.

But I also have a fancy plastic pair of MJ's and don't much like them. Model is Twin Falls. Material is Maui Pure. Color is HT. Like the color, but polarization is inferior in the plastic, the frames are not sturdy, and they scratch if you breath on em wrong. Not all that different from other high end plastics I've had before.

I don't own any Smiths but as I said my next pair will likely be smiths in glass with the low light igniter lens.

Do it pcray! Techlite, low light ignitor is a good choice for early, late or overcast days. Make sure you get the proper frame fit.

The LL Ignitors should be your first venture into Smith...and from there you'll soon own Chromapops!

I know what chromapop is and it's no different than costa 580 or MJ's polarizedplus thing. Cept Costa and MJ do it in both plastic and glass. Smith only does the color enhancement thing in plastic. At least till the patent runs out, I assume.

I used my Chromapop Igniter lenses for the first time last night. Holy crap. This is my first pair of really good glasses and now I can see why people spend the money on them. I used them on a stream I fish a lot and was able to see rocks/fish that I'd never seen before. I particularly dig the Igniter lens as it adjusts to the light and they performed really well on lowlight conditions.

I'm sold.

I used my Chromapop+ bronze mirror lenses on the water for the first time today. I'm sold.

Compared to my Oakleys the creek bottom was much clearer with sharper lines. I saw a lot of baitfish movement and shadows I wasn't able to see with my other sunglasses. I took the Oakleys along for side by side comparisons.

Another thing I noticed was how much the blue stood out on the head of a grackle and the body of a barn swallow.

I love my Smith sunglasses...that's why I have so many! All the colors I need albeit for fishing, driving, outside with the family, etc.

Back