Small Stream Smallies On Top

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Well I hit a local small stream that I have not fished at all this year. It is usually a fall fish and red breasted sunfish kind of place, but tonight I was pleasantly surprised.

I parked at a common access point that I have not fished for a couple of years, and boy has the layout changed. I was pleased to see some nice pocket water and some eddies and some deep riffles that were not there a few years ago. Some deadfall has really changed the landscape for the better. I tied on a small popper and an about the third cast, I caugh the smallie in the first picture.

I worked my way down stream working likely holding places and sure enough, caught at least one in each spot. I was burning daylight quickly, so I wanted to cover as much water as possible. Lots of good water, and I actually caught 5 smallies before I caught a fall fish or a sunfish.

I missed a few too, one that looked pretty big judging from the size of the boil. I'll have to try the same spot in the morning the next time, but dusk was very productive. All of the fish were very healthy and clean, and as you can see there are some dinks too, which I never mind seeing...the population is doing well and reproducing.

Gotta love smallies on top!

Attachments

• IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0234.jpg
    IMAG0234.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0235.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 7
Gotta love smallies on top!

YES YOU DO!!!

Awesome photos. Glad to hear it was a productive trip.

Back