Small Stream Brookie rod

All but one of my rods are geared for smaller streams.

For small to medium streams I have descriptions for the following rods and where I use them:

7' 9" #4 TfO finesse
This is my do all rod that I fish most often it is fine for small streams and can still handle larger streams as well. I often use it for bass and bluegill as well. It handles larger fish well and doesn't completely overpower smaller fish. It's a good all around rod for me.

7' 3" #2 TfO finesse
I love this rod. It is a blast catching even small trout on this rod. It casts small flies and small nymphs wonderfully. However this rod is not for casting buggers or big weighted nymphs. It is my new favorite though because of the fight you get from smaller trout. I spent hours fishing a crap hole stream and catching chubs which for the first time were exciting to catch because of the rod being so lightweight. This 2 weight is my newest rod and after using it a few times this year I could easily see myself enjoying an even shorter lighter rod, perhaps a 6'0" #1 weight in the smallest of streams.

7' 0" #5 White River
I use this rod for fishing very tight streams with lots of brush or trees surrounding the stream. It is a very short 5 weight so it will roll cast a very heavy nymph in close quarters easily. For a short rod it easily handles bigger water and it casts further than you might expect. I only use this rod for one or two small streams I fish that have fairly large trout, and lots of brush and overhanging limbs. The short length helps me keep my rod and line from constantly snagging trees and the heavier weight helps casting heavier stuff in tighter quarters. It is overkill for smaller trout and I've accidentally sent small wild trout flying out of the water like a backcast.

Thank you all for all the great advice. I'm surprised at the suggestion of heavier lines and over lining. I understand the points made and respect the advice. I never would have thought about that. I would have thought for such small streams and small fish tiny flies and delicate presentation would be in order. What size flies are best for brookies and what kinds of flies? Dries, nymphs or streamers?

Well, I enjoy the dry fly most, and for many times of the year, I think it works better. The reason is that these fish will hit just about anything, the key is not spooking them first. And a dry lets you fish farther away, and float right overtop underwater obstructions. You don't gotta worry about matching hatches much, there aren't many hatches on a lot of these streams, and the fish don't see much food so they're pretty opportunistic.

So, generally, size 10 through 14. As you can't backcast much, floatability is important. You also MUST be able to see it in dark canopies and heavy currents. For these reasons some common flies are Adams, Humpies, stimulators, Wulff's, and the like. I like a parachute adams with a pink post if the water is slower, usually go stimulator or humpy in faster water where you need the extra floatability.

In the winter, though, the fish will get sluggish and you may have a hard time getting them to come up to the surface. Other cases they may be under cover or under the whitewater of a waterfall, where they can't see the surface, or just an incredibly deep hole where they feed on the bottom. In those cases, a small beadhead is good, or small streamers, etc.

Don't worry about drag, they typically aren't drag shy, it might even attract them. But they are spooky from shadows and such OVER the water, so stay back as far as possible, stay as low as possible, and try not to wave the fly rod over their heads. Distance is the key, and the hard part of it all. If you don't spook em, put anything in front of them and they'll take. The fish are easy, but the fishin can be tough, especially when it gets thick. This kind of fishing does require some skill, but its casting skills and enough effort to get you in the backwoods on a good stream, not necessarily knowledge of food chain skills.

And the biggest piece of advice. Move! Cover water. There's usually multiple fish in every hole. But you're gonna screw up and spook a lot of holes, even the experts do on occasion. Don't worry, move on to the next! Alone, I might cover over a mile of water in a few hours. With 2 people, double that, with 3, triple it, and so on!

My top fly for native brookies size 12 or 14 Royal Wulff.

Not much of a small stream guy myself but I go out a few times a season.

For me, it's fun for a change of pace and a nice retreat in the middle of summer to excape the heat and when many waters are warming and low. In many ways it's just a fun for the hike in the woods as it is for the fishing.

The reward is uncrowded conditions with eager fish. (albeit small fish with occasional suprises)

My suggestion to the conversation is to use heavy tippet. Perhaps 2x or 3x since the fish don't seem to mind, you can rip your flies back out of the brush that will inevitably grab your flies.
Looked up the cortland- don't know anything about them though.
http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=525

I use a Cabela's 2 pc Fish Eagle PT 3wt 8' with a Orivs Rocky Mtn reel and a 4wt line.

Good luck in your venture.

boychick wrote:
Thank you all for all the great advice. I'm surprised at the suggestion of heavier lines and over lining. I understand the points made and respect the advice. I never would have thought about that. I would have thought for such small streams and small fish tiny flies and delicate presentation would be in order. What size flies are best for brookies and what kinds of flies? Dries, nymphs or streamers?

I haven't found it necessary to overline. I use a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt rod, with a double taper 4 wt line and it casts fine on small streams.

And don't assume small flies. On these types of streams you use all kinds of flies: small, medium, large. Dries, nymphs, streamers.

The object of small stream brook trout fishing is to present a fly without being seen. Delicacy, drag, and good presentations are secondary (I rarely, if ever, consider them when brookie fishing). Most of the time, just getting the fly in the water near a fish that doesn't detect you is enough.

They are hard to approach, and sometimes hard to cast to in tight spots... once you get past that, they are exceedingly easy to catch.

5footFenwick and I have fished small streams many times and he always uses streamers about 4" long.

I think it's more fun to catch brookies on tiny streams using equipment that's light in both the weight of the fly line (e.g., 3w line or less) and the weight of the rod-reel-combo (total 5 oz or less).

Also, if you are going to hike into truly rough and remote ravines, look for a short four piece rod. Short, so it's easy to cast in narrow streams with steep banks, and 4pc so it's easy to carry.

==> st croix imperial 7' 3w 4pc rod ($180 ebay; 2.2oz) + forbes magnesium reel ($80, ebay; 2.3 oz) + 3w rio gold line... package weight 5 oz., and it balances

When the water's over 45 -- not now :( -- brookies love elk hair caddis dry flies, but of course they aren't picky. It can be good to flatten the barbs, so it's easier to let 'em go.

Best way to learn about brookie fishing is to read the "Rich and Poor Streams" chapter of the Orvis Prospecting for Trout book. Brookies are dense where water is too tannic for brown trout, so underwater food is sparse. In the summer they may have to live by eating bugs that fall in the water. Toss 'em a dry fly, working upstream.

They are spooky, but not psychic. If the only way to reach a good pool is by going downstream, you might still catch them.

I think the best piece of brookie reference is Joe Humphries video "dry fly tactics in tight brush".

For the brookie streams in the Catskills, I fish 2 wts. The streams are normally all pretty small, and rarely open up for anything more than a 30-40 foot cast. I have a 6' and a 7' 11". The only time I ever use the 6' is if I know that I'm going into a tight area. Otherwise, the 7'11" allows me to toss dries and nymph effectively.

pink SJW.... don't bust it till you try it!

I gotta agree with ryan on the worm! I've had little ones pick it up off the bottom of the stream and carry it around like a dog with a bone, I was laughing too hard to set the hook!

I had 2 good days with the "pink worm" on a brookie stream last summer. And day were the "Heron blue " worm just slayed them and haven't caught anything on it since on that color. The san jauns to me look outta place at the end of your tippet. But they catch fish, and the steelhead like em too.

I like to tye 'em heavy and high stick 'em thought pockets and runs in high run off times like in the spring. Chatruese works well in this type of water.

Why not try "Jake's Heavy Worm", I tie in some lead over the San Juan body then dub over the lead with hares ear. This pic is one of my first attempts, my more recent ties look better, buggier.

I have no issues tossin' JHW's with my 7'3" #2.

P.S.

Just for fun I took one and snipped either end of the chenille down to 1/8 inch from the dubbed section and called it a hot dog. It catches fish. lol.

Attachments

• 5370.JPG
    5370.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 4
ryguyfi wrote:
pink SJW.... !

I love fishing a san jaun under a big bushy dry fly on brookie streams.

Killer

I have enjoyed a session or two on Big Spring with a small pink SJW. Gotta be light pink micro though in my experience.

I have a 3wt cortland brook series and I fish it with a 5 wt line. The 3 wt just didn't load fast enough. It's great for actual "brookie" streams, but when i can i take the 8 footer.

Back