Small BWO and Midge patterns...what to use???

sunra

sunra

I am having a littler trouble figuring out what I should be tying to imitate the small, i.e. #22-28 bwo and midges I see coming off of Vallley Creek in and around Valley Forge Nat'l Park.

I know the obvious answer is wets and evergers of bwo and midges, but can anyone give some strategy and ties that might help. Those are awfully small, and I definintely have trouble seeing those flies on the end of my tippet.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Olive thread body F fly with dun CDC puff for the wing.

Sunra,

I posted this in a stream report last week and this pattern has been working for me. I use a cdc bwo like mentioned above, however, I thinly dub a tapered body like the real ones or I use a goose biot for the body.

BWO

Very similar to an RS2 emerger, as well, which I tied up a few when I was doing my BWO f-flies.

http://www.riverbum.com/Blue-Winged-Olive-Emerger-RS2/

I didn't do a biot body like the previous one, just a real lightly dubbed body, but I like the segmentation that the biot gives.

I also used combed out antron in lieu of z-lon, of which I own none.

Peacock crystal flash for the body, peacock for the collar and grizzly hen make a dandy soft hackle for this situation.

Thank you all for sharing. I will tie some of those up, and hopefully give them a try later this week.

Flyeyeeye, your avatar...is he going to the shows? April and May will bring good fishing, great beer and what I believe will be a surprisingly good Dead tour!

sunra,

The doo dah bear is enjoying either a micro brew like Sierra Nevada or a homebrew. Shows are great, but this bear misses a certain lead guitarist.

Cheers!

I have been tying my midges with just a thread boby with a cdc puff wing with the cdc tied in like a wing instead of a post . add a little floatant and it looks like an emerger. I also like it with no floatant to be a like a nymph. I am going to try a few midge nymph patterns on valley that i will report on depending on the sucess. I came up with 15 different styles I want to try in two sizes , 18 and 24.The possibilites are endless!!!

Back