sick fish in the Susquehanna

Much less surprising, but still depressing:

I went fishing by the philly art museum this evening, and caught a decent channel cat with similar markings. They looked like they were a bit more fresh, but still nasty.

Are these "Sores" definately the result of infection from an unknown source? Could they be festering injuries from predator attacks by flatheads or somethng? I wonder if the F&BC would be interested in analysing the "sick fish" to see exactly what the origin of the infection is for it can be addressed appropriately?

My "guess" is that they wounds are a common thing but the inability to heal may be result of the infections after the wounds occurred.

Guys, this is a project for the long haul. This is a multi-multi-year study, so we all need to be patient. More so now that the Feds are involved.

As for cleaning up the sewage treatment - - the majority of that money will also need to come from the Feds - - so if our state agencies are serious with cleaning-up the 'hanna, and bringing sewage treatment into the 21st century, they should be lobbying our Fed senators, and congressman. This will take years as well. That is just the way it is.

There is no evidence that the present minor fish kill of carp, catfish, and redhorse suckers is associated with any type of pollution event. Based upon my years of professional experience in dealing with many types of fish kills, the evidence at the present time would suggest a natural kill associated with spawning stress or the recent rapid rise in the river's temperature, which may have aided in the growth of disease organisms. Noteworthy is that some of the river's most sensitive species (to pollution) have not been unaffected so far according to PFBC staff on the water, such as shiners, darters and walleye. Observant anglers have noted over the years that post-spawning fish are often pretty "beat up." The open sores and wounds, and well as the patchy loss of slime, the fish's first defense against disease organisms and parasites, provide perfect routes for viral and bacterial infections, which may or may not be fatal. Could the present minor kill develop into a major one? Yes. Will it? Possibly, but we'll have to wait and see. Just two weeks ago a similar kill of alewife began to develop at Blue Marsh Rs. Nearly all anglers were noticing, indicating that there were enough dead fish around to catch peoples' attention. But in the grand scheme of things it was a minor kill and never expanded. It was nature's way of "thinning the herd."

Fredrick, I agree with your suggestions and have similar feelings. I'm all for bringing awareness to the public. Yesterday I was watching a wildlife show and they were interviewing a biologist of some sort and one thing that he said has stuck with me. He said, "everything man touches, he destroys". Just my opinion and others may feel differently but I agree with him.

PFBC biologists have begun and will be doing their annual SMB fingerling abundance indices over the next few weeks in the Susq. drainage and elsewhere. This includes looking for external evidence of disease on the fingerlings.

Back