Short Rods and where you use them

Thanks for that link Gfen, I think that's the rod I saw before.

fishidiot, that fish looks like it's 5 feet long!!LOL!

I had a five foot bamboo and the smallest hardy reel[could only hold half a line].
Just the ticket for ant,cricket,hopper,beetle fishing and okay for small nymphs.
Used it in Pa,Mt,Co until the seams on the rod came open.
someone I met on greensprings built it for me.$35 almost a weeks pay then.

My favorite small rod is an Orvis 6'-6" bamboo flea rod that I bought in the early 70's. I ordered it on a Tuesday and told them I wanted to fish Falling Springs on Saturday. They told me to send a check and the rod would be there by Friday. I caught 27 or 28 fish that morning during a Trico hatch. A fun rod to fish.

I use a 5'6 3wt for little streams and love it. Love using it on little freestones and limers in the area.

I finally bought a real "small stream" set-up. I got a St Croix 7' 3wt (4pc) with the little Loomis Venture 3 reel. I was going to go even smaller/lighter, but got talked out of it. This should serve me well in tighter quarters though. Thoughts?

I finally bought a real "small stream" set-up. I got a St Croix 7' 3wt (4pc) with the little Loomis Venture 3 reel. I was going to go even smaller/lighter, but got talked out of it. This should serve me well in tighter quarters though. Thoughts?

It should serve you very well. My one thought is never get talked out of what you believe you want. If you decide you do not like it now, you will always wonder if you should have stuck with what you wanted.

wildtrout2 wrote:

A guy I was fishing with had a St Croix 7' 3 wt and I fished with it for awhile and I liked it a lot. You could make surprisingly long casts with it, without much effort. I think you'll enjoy it.

my first decent rod was/is a 7' 4wt....i did most of my learn'n with that rod. been a long time since i messe with trout, but if i would agian it would be with that rod.
it's great for the quitty in an around annville. it even has a few good largemouth to its credit...and more than a few crappy.

Back