selling flies......

I've thought long and hard about this issue over the years. Fortunately, I've never really had to confront any of my friends on this issue.

I have taught a few of my friends in the neighborhood to fly fish and none of them has ever taken advantage of me. We have to call a spade a spade here. When anyone expects you to provide them with flies, unless it has been addressed from the beginning that the services you provide for a fee include such, they are taking advantage of you. The other exception is when you provide flies as a form of thanks for something that your friend has done for you or someone dear to you. Most times this would be a once-and-done deal.

I know it can be a sensitive issue; however if you're afraid it would strain your relationship there is a problem with the relationship already.

I make it a point to let folks know I don't tie for anyone else unless they are willing to pay $10/fly. It isn't that my flies are worth that much, it is that it is difficult for me to dicipline myself to tie for me! For anyone to expect me to use my time (a commodity I can never replace and of which we could argue the value for many moons) and materials I've had to purchase to tie flies only to relinquish my rights to same for the sole purpose of ensuring they have flies with which to fish - and I don't even feel they grasp what's going on - well, that's not what this game is all about.

Have I encountered people willing to pay $10/fly? Well...
Do I give flies away? Now and then, BUT ONLY ON MY TERMS! And I truly believe the recipient values and appreciates my gesture.

Your friends should understand and appreciate your position if you address this issue with them tactfully. That is, if they are true friends.

If you have to tie a large number of flies for a trip then have your friends pick up some of the materials. My brother-in-law doesn't tie, but is always willing to buy a box of hooks or some of the materials.

Greenweenie said,
simple catskill tie dries

:eek:. Not for me! I can't hackle worth a dang. Comparaduns, spinners, most nymphs, and streamers I'm ok at. But I still can't hackle.....

I can't tie, but my son does. We have a simple solution. Tie for hooks. If I want flies I buy twice the amount of hooks than I need flies for. Hook are expensive and he always needs them. If the flies require bead heads I do the same. Since the hooks and beads are more expensive then dubbing and hackle per fly, he makes out and I get the flies I want. Never start your friends out with more than 3 starter flies. Ever!

My friend is really a true selfless person and offered to pick up a sandwich for her manager once. I don't think I need to tell you what she does most days since then.

ryguyfi,
The solution is simple:

A Fly for a Fly (rather than an eye for an eye)

Just trade flies. If you have the hot fly that's working and they want one, give him one, and pick a fly out his box (your choice). That balances things out a little. And it's simple.

I still haven't come to a conclusion, but may tie some extra flies and see if the guys I fish with are willing to buy them... I'm pretty selfless, so a few flies here and there aren't a big deal to me. I ironically almost lost my dry fly box the other day... went back the next day and luckily found it. I would really have no time to tie for others if I did lose it. If I sell them I figure .25 for egg flies, and .50 for others. I will probably sell some egg flies over steelhead season due to a large need for them. They take 5 mintues to tie, so no biggie in putting up a few for sale. I figure I'll either tie some extras up and those will be the only ones I sell to the bunch of guys I usually go to Erie with, or take advanced orders. Either way I won't cut into my own supply. Just a thought we'll see if it works out.

I don't know, but it sounds to me like your friends are taking advantage of your generosity. My policy is that I am happy to teach what I know. I am happy to share a couple of flies with friends. If my "friend" is serious about fly fishing I will:

A. Be happy to teach them to tie to the bests of my ability

B. Go to the local shop with them and give them an idea of how to select patterns (if we don't support our local shops, there will be nowhere to shop!)

C. Point them in the right direction on-line if that is their preference

I am guessing you don't tie flies for a living and the minute you start charging your friends, the clear stream you are fishing begins to get muddy....

Just my opinion.

Back