SE Pa mink ?

A

AndyP

Decided to head out to fish Valley this morning before New Years Eve obligations took over. Saw a what I thought to be a pretty fat looking mink enter the water ahead of me and then swam in my direction. Popped his head up about 5 feet in front of me and swam the length of the pool and disappeared. Anybody else see any around Valley. This guy was well fed and about 16'' long. I figured that the pool would be shot after he swam through but I picked up 2 on a #20 pheasant tail fished deep and slow. Happy New Year !

I believe it, I saw two different ones this year in North Jersey, with one in Bergen County (right outside of NYC).

Never saw one there. But not surprised. I do see them around my way. I have seen them at a farm I hunt deer on in Pipersville.
Also on the Brodheads.

GenCon

I've never seen mink on valley, but i have been wondering if they would be there, since i saw a mink or possibly the larger cousin? (it struck me as quite large - cat-sized) on the little lehigh, right in the parkway.

I've seen minks on several streams in SE PA. I've been told but haven't seen any on streams, that beavers are invading SE PA.

Winter is the breeding season for Mink. I see them often especially this time of year. The next time you see one, make high pitched squeaks with your lips. Mink have small eyes and don't see well. They call real easy. I have had them swim by inches from my legs. Makes for some interesting photos. Give it a shot.

I wish I could have snapped a photo. This guy was so fat I briefly had the word ''otter'' on my mind.Whatever it was it was healthy and swam like a champ.

Could have been a muskrat. They are very common, and are typically a lot fatter than mink. Mink are thin.

And when I've seen mink, they were scrambling around near the bank, not swimming.

I'm in scpa...but felt like commenting.

I see mink, muskrat and beaver in cumberland county. I have seen large mink on the Le Tort. Beaver on the Yellow Breeches and Conodoguinet. Muskrat everywhere. I have seen mink swimming holding a sucker and also a sunfish.

Last weekend a guy was screwing my fishing up by coming downstream hammering into the bank traps every 40 feet. I would like to set off the traps...! I've seen mink and muskrat in the area...and kids play in the area since it is adjacent to a park and houses. Trapping seams to be a throwback to 1800s in my opinion. I don't use muskrat or mink for dubbing...dryer lint can be used as far as I am concerned. The health of a stream can be seen in it's biodiversity. Protect the mammals and the fish.

Here is the pic of the small mink swimming with its catch…fresh sucker.

Attachments

• P5080244_R.jpg
    P5080244_R.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2
Neat pic Stalker, I also respect your opinion on trapping. I agree to disagree though. Throwback. It's a great way for a youngster to connect with nature, and learn the value of the dollar. Trapping really is very hard work and you have to be there every morning no exceptions and the earlier the better. Preferably before the light of day which is necessary to make school on time. Looking at the way things are going maybe going back in time is not a bad thing. I do understand your opinion and how it must look however.

Night_Stalker wrote:
I don't use muskrat or mink for dubbing...dryer lint can be used as far as I am concerned.

I have seen numerous mink while fishing in SE PA over the past few years. I always enjoy watching them as they go about their way. They are very curious critters and will get very close to check you out if you give them a chance. However, I love to use both mink and muskrat for dubbing. The quality of the underfur and guard hairs beat the crap out of dryer lint IMO.

Do not snap Muskrat traps. Sad to think that you actually believe that a muskrat trap is a danger to anyone. Share the water with everyone. Especially Trappers.

Ive seen suspicious tracks on a stream up in the poconos fishing in the winter time. There was snow on the ground and there was "slides right into the water. Now ive seen minks aorund but i thought it was an otter slide. Any ideas? do minks slide too?

Otters would be my suspicion.

Agreed. Beaver pullout maybe. Mink don't slide. Careful little double tracks.

Mink will swim they are fairly common around here. As far as Beaver..you don't want them. Quick way to destroy a trout stream. The dams often fill up with silt.

I have to disagree on the "trapping being a throwback from the 1800"s.

No different than any other outdoor activity..fishing, hunting, or trapping.

As a wild trout lover I welcome any and all trappers to help us preserve the wild trout populations. Mink, otter, muskrat, and beaver cause trouble when allowed to over populate any stream. Not to mention that sucker he was carrying could have very well been a trout. Please be more considerate to other outdoor hobbiest. Moving, setting off, entangling, stealing traps or even the game caught in a trap will get you a pretty hefty fine if caught and all it takes is your face to show up on a game cam poking a stick into a trap and your screwed.

littlelehigh pink,

I would not mess with the traps. Just felt like it. I fact I wished the guy well. The area that he was at is rather developed (Cumberland County...think not tiny wild brook trout habitat) and the animals in the area are not that common...and again in my opinion should not be trapped. It is highly unlikely they will become over populated in that area due to urban expansion and pollution. I imagine that in the local streams I fish in...trout are big enough to consider small mink food. Bigger ones get eaten by muskie. Your homestead may vary.

The fish was a sucker in that instance. I am sure they do eat small trout. I've seen water snake killing trout 20 feet from where I took that photo. If they do eat a trout it is part of the system of nature. Man is not.

The tiny little vicious carnivores should be more considerate of the humans wishes they infringe on daily. They should not eat double their body weight daily of fish. Stupid Hobby IMO. Trapper was most likely from Perry County (local humor).

Mam, have a Happy New Year killing wild things in your area. I chose not to roll with you.

:•)

Back