Schoolies are on fire!

S

Striperbobby

Fished my favorite spot for schoolies in the kayak last night and caught or missed a fish on just about every cast for the last 3 hours of the outgoing tide. The water was almost a foot higher than normal so wading was not possible. The water was clear and flat calm. I did not see any schools of bait but stripers were boiling consistently. Fished fiberglass 6wt with fast sinking line and size 2/o clouser. The fish would roll on the fly after the first or second strip before the fly could even sink. The fish were 16 to 26 inches and fat and healthy. Most were in the 18 to 22 inch range. I think I ended up with somewhere around 80 fish. I was gonna go to my jersey spot for cows but wanted to sight cast instead of trolling huge weighted bunker flies. Great night and healthy fishery. Now is the time with ideal water temps and a break from the winds.

Are you talking about the NJ shore backwaters, Raritan, or the tidal Delaware R/Estuary?

Are you talking about the NJ shore backwaters, Raritan, or the tidal Delaware R/Estuary?
Sorry forgot to say where, back bays of ocean city md is where I target schoolies. I target cows in the north Jersey rivers.

Back