salmon/steel flys

rhbuilds

rhbuilds

im headed to pulaski this october and i want to start my flys. any good suggestions. this is what i did so far. blue seems to be hot with the salmon.

Attachments

• IMG_4122.jpg
    IMG_4122.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4121.jpg
    IMG_4121.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4120.jpg
    IMG_4120.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4123.jpg
    IMG_4123.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4128.jpg
    IMG_4128.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 4
ive been using mustad 1/0 salmon hooks. i new at this as u can see.

I use a specially made hook that is 2X strong and will litteraly take 700 pounds of pressure before it turns into an hour glass shape and finally snaps. My buddy tested it out on a machine where he works. I use these in size #12. Baby blue and teal are hot colors for the salmon, steelhead and the big browns you'll be getting into.

chart, n pink as well

you know you just snag them anyway, they dont eat once they enter the river.

all you need is estaz.

if you need help i am just down the road

all i tie for my clients is estaz and a few others

feel free to pm me

They don't eat, but they will bite. No need to snag them. Honestly.

Rhbuilds- a size 4 iis the biggest I use with most being 8-10 so you increase your odds at hooking up with the trout of a lifetime. The salmon are fun,but a 15-20 lb brown or rainbow just makes me wanna cry tears of joy. I seriously use bigger streamers for local stream trout than I do for ny lake run monsters. Get some egg patterns in sizes 12-8 and get anything chartreuse for them browns. I don't know why but they love anything chartreuse.

Also the hooks can only have a half inch gap. Too big and u could be fined. Too many people rippin and snagging because they were "informed" that the "sammins don't bite in da river cuz they only comin up ta die". Check out a site called salmoncrazy. Just lurk and read up as much as you can then ask any questions. Some good dudes there that should be able to help.

I can post up tons of pics of steelie flies from my box, but for Salmon, I've never landed one (mostly because it was during the huge flood when I seriously tried), but the only thing I've ever had hookups on were giant golden and green stones, like size 6.

Wow huntinfool you said you just snag them? I would be really confident if I was one of your clients paying big money to go out and snag fish.

I use a specially made hook that is 2X strong and will litteraly take 700 pounds of pressure before it turns into an hour glass shape and finally snaps. My buddy tested it out on a machine where he works.

That would be stronger than most off shore hooks and would have a wire diameter over a 12/0 hook, I think not. More like 50-75 lbs. if that sorry dude your buddy is wrong. breaking strength of wire that size is imposible.

on your egg sucking bugger i would fish that but a longer hook might be alot better along with glo bugs but certainly take some brightly colored flies that you can swing along with nymphs i have never fished there but with standard nymphs glo bugs and a few other egg patterns like sucker spawn and blood dots and woolybuggers you should do well

I will mail you one of these hooks I know there is no way you can break it. You can do all you want to it. Your rod will break before this hook does. It is specially made.

Actually RH, I didnt realize it was you that started this post. Dude, come over some night with your vise and I'll help you put some patterns together.

guys be honest with yourselfs, if fished true ny style, you have 3 ft between the hook and weight, the figh swim with their mouths open and you snag ,they dont "eat", you snag them in the mouth.

its not trying to snag them its just how it happens

HuntinFool wrote:
guys be honest with yourselfs, if fished true ny style, you have 3 ft between the hook and weight, the figh swim with their mouths open and you snag ,they dont "eat", you snag them in the mouth.

its not trying to snag them its just how it happens

Sorry, but salmon will attack a fly even if they are not eating.

Ok, well that is just my opinion. If you don't agree fine by me, but the guys that always say the fish ate it are full of it.

I don't disagree that they don't eat. They however, do not have hands and use their mouth to move things and to hurt things. A spawning salmon will smash a fly if it's annoying them or in their way. I am sure that even fishing correctly an amount are flossed or lined, but they really will bite, even if they are not "eating" for nourishment. Go out to the piers at olcott and run rapalas and rattle traps at night and you will pound them well after their bodies told them to stop "eating". Why? Who cares. Most muskies caught on lures aren't looking for a meal either. Doesn't mean I snagged them.

i had the understanding that they are not feeding but if a fly is dangling in there face they will strike it. they will not chase it though.

HuntinFool wrote:
Ok, well that is just my opinion. If you don't agree fine by me, but the guys that always say the fish ate it are full of it.

I've been there and have done the not so proud things along the learning curve, thinking that was the way. On the onther hand I have also had them CRUSH flies and if you think that's BS it's only because you have yet to see it.

My recommendation for king salmon is red. They love large red flies/jigs with lots of movement. If you're looking for trout though stick to you're egg patterns and keep it simple. If you need any other info on where to stay, fish, etc shoot me a PM i'd be happy to help someone that's not up there looking to snag and drag.

jdaddy wrote:
When did you get all uppity?

He's on a fly fishing site, I think that its a part of Terms of Service for any and all forum membership. Clark's Classics requires you buy a tweed jacket, true story!

Back