Salmon River, NY

P

ponner1us

Salmon River, NY
Anyone know how it's fishing lately? Going up to the Upper & Lower fly sections for steelies Saturday, Sunday, & Monday, just wondering how it's doing?

Not good yet. The fly sections are packed. The dropbacks have not happened. Not a lot of fish in the river. Many are in the upper fly section. Another week or so the fish will begin heading back to lake and it will be phenomenal. 30 fish days will be the norm. Make sure if you are going to fish the lower fly zone.you wake up really early and stake your spot. If you interested in a float on a Sunday I could reccomend somebody. Just shoot me a.PM.

The Salmon River has been fishing good. Water is up, 1500cfs released but by the weekend we should see it drop some. There are alot of fish in the river in full spawning mode and there are alot of drop backs through out the length of the river. If the water drops by this weekend I'd swing steamers and leeches in the pools and fish indies using big golden stonefly nymphs, egg patterns and san juan worms in the faster water. I don't guide or fish the fly zones so I couldn't tell you what's going on there. A lot of fish in the river and a lot of river to fish. Have a good time.

Man, I have to really laugh that your report completely contradicts mine. Hey that's why you go fishing.

You are a guide though and it is your job to get guys up there. I have guide friends up there and they are completely in my boat. Sure you can find some fish, but it is by no means "good".

I was up the other weekend 3/16-3/18 and fishing was ok. Friday our best day we had about 35 or so hookups between 2 guys. Satuday we stayed off the SR except the morning 2 hrs which produced some good fish. Sunday was tough for us, maybe 10-12 hook ups all day. That being said its been a weird spring due to temps. We saw 1 fish that still had eggs in it and it was half spawned. It will be an early season this year, unfortunately I will not be able to get another trip up there but if you do go please take the time to revive this fish and fish appropriate tippets. 4lb is ok in the winter with a long rod if you know what you are doing, in the spring when they are exhausted all you are doing is killing post spawn fish.

My advice is take every report you hear with a grain of salt whether it is a guide or friend. The best report is one you get from yourself. Hooking 5 steelies in one day may be good for one person and slow for someone else. I will say this. The river is full of fish and if you can read water and are willing to walk a little the fishing is pretty good.

A coworker of mine was up pinning with eggs on Saturday and he said he got into about 15 and landed like 8. He was below pineville. Also had a friend who landed two at Ellis Cove on one of the bugs I gave him.

Take the reports with a grain of salt. Just go fish. If it's slow, there are tons of other small tribs that are fun for trout.

I've fished SR the past 2/weekends and I can honestly say.. It's sort-of typical March month. Most are all on spawning beds, some drop-backs in mix. But find area and fish it! You'd be surprised! High water is helping thing move along nicely!

Thanks for the help guys. Here's my report for the upcoming weekend:

Caught some fish, enjoyed myself tremendously.

SBecker, As to what your guide buddies are telling you, it is what it is for them. I can only report what happens in my boat. ponner1us was looking for info so I told him what I see happening. As for being a guide and getting people up here, my schedule is full till last week of April, and has been since early February. A guide trying to fill a schedule now is probably a guide who doesn't put the time or money into promoting and marketing his service. He's never going to really amount to much.

uplandguide wrote:
SBecker, As to what your guide buddies are telling you, it is what it is for them. I can only report what happens in my boat. ponner1us was looking for info so I told him what I see happening. As for being a guide and getting people up here, my schedule is full till last week of April, and has been since early February. A guide trying to fill a schedule now is probably a guide who doesn't put the time or money into promoting and marketing his service. He's never going to really amount to much.

No I am fine with your report. I just found it amazing it was the exact opposite of mine. My friends are booked as well. If I want to float, its on a Sunday. I was up there I talked to a ton of guides on the river while fishing with my bud. All had the same thing. Fishing is tuff right now.

I’m headed up to Pulaski from New Bloomfield on the 17th of April for a couple days. Myself and a couple friends from Vermont booked rooms (Fox Hollow) and guides (the fly rod shop) and we are one shy of a foursome. If anyone from Pa. is interested in hooking up to share the ride and a guide/boat ….. Drop me a line.

Would also appreciate any suggestions on fly patterns to tie for the trip.
Thanks,
Buffalo

black bead head soneflies with biot tails, different color estaz thorax and gold and blue wing cases. Keep it simple. Also egg patterns and pink worms.

Also a good time for spey flies and wooly buggers.

Bob, I'd be tossing black beadhead stones mostly. Although egg patterns also do some good..........good luck and I wish I could make it.....

Back