Roll of Gortex

sundrunk

sundrunk

I've got about 40' x 5' roll of military grade Gortex. It's a nice light green aqua camo. I'm thinking about making my own waders. Any one know a good place to get neoprene?

I bought a sheet of neoprene years ago for a medical bed I was helping design. I had called Eastern Mountain Sports in New Hampshire and they gave me thier supplier, but I can't remember who it was. They were based in Florida or GA. Try giving EMS a call. If I recall it was about $80 for a sheet the size of a twin bed.
http://www.ems.com/marmot

Interesting! Why not buy a pair of neoprene socks and attach them rather than buing a mile of neoprene? I would suggest you take an old pair of waders (that fit), take them apart and use them as a pattern.

If you do this project, you've got to take photos of the process and finished product and post for all to see. Good luck.

I agree with afish - this is a fascinating project. I don't think I've ever seen an article on how to do this. Perhaps an old diver wetsuit could provide some usable parts.

great idea's all. And I was considering deconstructing an older pair of waders to see how they did it. Plus, I could use the older sections as templates. Restoring an older set of footies may be the best approach. I'll most likely over glue the first set of waders to be sure. I'm going to continue investigating this subject further. I'll post a few pics when finished..Could be a Winter project...

Might as well buy a pair of Orvis waders... they will both leak the same

sundrunk- Ok I am going to ask, what is your avatar pic?? Is it a cane rod and tube?

I also would interested to see how your project turns out. Good luck.

My avatar is a picture of a picnic table at Poe paddy with a bunch of greendrakes covering my tying gear. I have tons of pictures which I would rather use but none will take.

Sund - be careful of the fabrication process with the Gortex (TM). Obviously sewing it defeats the leakproof features. In fact, Goretex won't let a manufacturer use their name unless they are trained and certified to the correct processes of usage.

tl
les

lestrout,

looks like I've got a lot of research to do, thanks. I am in no hurry and plan on learning as much as I can about the process.

Back