Rods for Musky

I'll get a report together sat. night. I have a good feeling about this 1. It's our 1st time fishing this peice of water so maybe I'll have some picks of the"toothy" persausion for you guys.

I got a bit of musky fishing in today. I was mainly looking for SMBs but there's a good pool that sometimes holds a tiger or two and the water level was higher and cloudier than normal (which often makes for good muskie fishing in my experience) so I spent some time throwing the big stuff.

Didn't see any muskies and didn't catch any bass either. I often get some nice sized river SMBs when throwing muskie flies but neither wanted to play today.

Darn, it looks like I probably wont get a chance to chase the toothy critters this weekend. I might not be able to get out until the Chautauqua trip the following weekend. Hopefully I'll have something to report after that trip. good luck to everyone that gets a chance to hit the water.

Jay

Well, got back from the Chautauqua trip yesterday. I ended up landing one Musky that was mid to upper 30's and a Pike that was around 40". however, I got these fish on conventional gear. I had tons of follows but couldn't convert any fish on the fly rod. These fish wanted the baits burning thru the water at ridiculous speeds before they'd actually take a swipe at anything. I lost a few nice ones too. My best chance with the fly would have been to try the two-handed saltwater strip technique but I've never tried it before. I might have to learn that one real quick.

Anyone else having any toothy critter action?

Jay

Two handed strip is easy, clamp rod under armpit then just hand over hand over hand.

That's how my 2 yr old brings in fish on my 4wt.

Do it just like gfen says but add some hard stops in your 2 handed retieive. Keep you rod tip pointed directy at your fly and if you get a strike strip (strip strike) into the fish. Ive had strikes on this kinda retieve. you just need a heavier tip or full sink line to keep the fly down durring the faster retrieve.

Back to the rod topic earlier discussed. I have a 10wt Echo Ion. It bombs flies.......would highly recommend the rod for the price.

Thats great to hear about the Echo Ion because I have also found quite a few positive review of those rods. When I decide to add another rod to my arsenal, that will be one of the first rods I check out.

I have casted the ion over the weekend and its the fastest action 10wt. Ive casted.

Yeah you add a slick line to those 10wt Ion's and it's almost effortless casting in retrospect to the rod actually being a 10wt.

Back