Rod Suggestions

F

firstcap

Looking at the 7'9" 4 weight St. Croix Avid for small stream nymphing and small streamers/buggers. For what it's worth I rarely throw dries, so delicate presentations are not terribly important to me, though it will be my brook trout rod on the rare occasion I get to go for them. Wanted to get suggestions on any other rods I should be looking at before I pull the trigger. I love my Grey's 10' 3 weight for euro nymphing but it is often times too much on smaller waters. On big water using indicators I usually fish a 10'6" 5 weight or the old reliable 9' 4 weight. Maybe I just have the itch for a new rod and looking for help in justifying the purchase. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I would go with a 5 wt fast action rod for what your talking about. I have a 7.5 foot 5 wt that is an excellent small stream rod. I think 7' 9" may be a little long in tight brushy conditions, but I guess you are used to longer rods.

Look into a TFO finesse rod in 7'9'' 5wt. I have one and it makes a great small stream rod. It being a 5 wt, it has ample power for throwing buggers and nymph rigs.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=221246174227

Though I am a fan of medium action rods, I wish I had the money for this little gem. But I dont right now. With it being a 4 wt I doubt you would have any issue throwing a sz12 weighted stone. But the softness of the rod would make a killer dry fly delivery as well. But everyone has a different taste in how tbey like thier rods... but the st croix avid line will always have a special place in my heart for sure.

My main small stream rod is a 7'9" 5wt Orvis Clearwater(not the newer Clearwater, the one they had like 10yrs ago which may be different? Maybe just the design is different, idk). As boychick said it is long for some small streams, but I have a 6.5' rod for the real tiny streams. Overall I love it. Throws dries well and can also toss some small streamers.

i'm currently using a 3wt 6' avid. i should be throwing more dries than i am with it, but it does not mind conehead buggers at all either.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have it narrowed to the following, from least to most expensive. Any feedback appreciated...

-TFO Finesse. 7'9 4 wt or 7'9" 5 wt.
-Orvis Clearwater. 7'6" 5 wt or 7' 4 wt.
-St. Croix Avid. 7'9" 4 wt.

-Josh

if ya want cheap tfo, expensive but american made st croix. i still favor st croix, $80 to keep a job in the states.

I went to Cabela's 2 weekends ago to test a few rods out. I was interested in buying a 6 weight to fish bigger waters for trout and warm water fish. The fly shop guy said that before I try any other rod, that I should try the Sage One. So he rigged it up and outside we went. I was blown away how easy it was to cast and its accuracy. I could easily cast the entire fly line with precision....I bought it.

I tried it out the next day on the Huron River in Ypsalanti, MI. Within minutes I hooked into a monster smallie. It's just an awesome rod. Sure I should have tried other rods, but I haven't regretted the purchase one bit.

Pardon my ignorance on this topic. If it's a small / tight / Bryant stream, at what point do need "power" to toss a nymph rig or bugger? I've used the same 3wt for years to cast tricos & #2 sculpin with 2 BB shots on the head. Am I missing something?

Kray does have a point. I as well can throw heavy stuff with my. 3wt m-series, it isnt the prettiest especially witb the trout lt line I have on it. But I can still move a double weighted nymph rig and a thing a ma bobber just fine.

Heck I landed a 14.5" brown on it, to me the scariest part was the 6x tipppet I had on it. But on that other hand the soft medium action of the rod took a lot of shock each time the fish tried darting.

Moral of the story is the only thing I would like to change about that rod is maybe dropping it down to 7-7'6" vs the 8'3" that it is. Thus why im in love with that 6'6" 4wt.

You can throw heavier stuff on a 2 wt if you wanted to. A 5 wt will do it with a little bit more ease. There is nothing wrong with a 3 or 4 wt, I just personally think for the OP who wants to nymph and throw buggers a 5 wt will work well.

Thanks for the feedback...I went with the 7'9" 4 weight Avid. Should be delivered to Backwater Angler by Friday.

Back