Rod Build Thread

I didn’t enjoy trying to attach and align single foot guides on the tip section of a 2wt blank. I learned a lot on this build and I’m quite happy with how it turned out.

View attachment 1641235308
Lately I've been using "elastic thread" I get from Joann fabric to hold down single foot guides for wrapping. I wrap the elastic thread tight around the guide near the hoop and tape down the loose ends. This leaves about 2/3 of the guide foot bare for wrapping thread. when I reach the elastic thread I un-tape it and it springs off cause it's elastic and I finish the wrap. It makes this process much easier for me.

Nice looking build BTW.

Lately I've been using "elastic thread" I get from Joann fabric to hold down single foot guides for wrapping. I wrap the elastic thread tight around the guide near the hoop and tape down the loose ends. This leaves about 2/3 of the guide foot bare for wrapping thread. when I reach the elastic thread I un-tape it and it springs off cause it's elastic and I finish the wrap. It makes this process much easier for me.

Nice looking build BTW.
I use the little rubber bands for braces.

I use the little rubber bands for braces.
I've tried rubber bands, elastic thread, and the hot glue that came with the kit from Flex Coat, any in conjunction with clothespin braces... and they all worked okay. The best method I found so far is to cut very narrow strips of masking tape (on the roll) with an X-Acto knife. (I know... rolls of thin tape can be purchased without the need to cut it down.) I'll wrap the strip of tape "backwards" right at the point where the foot bends at the guide. At the narrowest blank diameters, I'll expand the tape wrap -on the blank and not the guide - a couple widths to get a good grip. While the thread wrap walks up the guide foot, I can grab the tape end and pull it off while the thread is wrapping. It's rare that the guide will walk up or walk around the blank when I do it this way.

I think I remember using bees wax to hold singles in place. Been a long time.

Or, ya know, just tape em on.

I too cut thin strips of masking tape while on the roll , peel it off and them tape them down.

Look at automotive fine line tape. Thats what I use to hold down my guides. I think my one roll is like 1/8" wide.

Here are 2 of my latest builds. The orange is a 9' 5wt and the brown is a 10' 3/4wt.

Attachments

• 20240305_212837.jpg
    20240305_212837.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240416_220211.jpg
    20240416_220211.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 13
I tend to build with a lot of single footers. I've tried the elastic bands, dental bands, masking tape, etc. 1/8" masking tape is usually my preferred method to hold guides in place but for small single footers on thin section blanks, I usually just reverse wrap them.

Hold them in place with tape close to the ramp. With your thread, begin a holding wrap up at the loop, working backward toward the ramp. You're going to cut the holding wrap off so it can be ugly. Don't waste time worrying about how it looks - I'll even overlap wraps to add a little more force to keep your guide in place within a small holding wrap length.

Carefully remove your tape and wrap the guide following your usual method (the actual guide wrap). When your guide wrap gets close to the holding wrap, just cut off the holding wrap and finish up the guide wrap.

I've found this to be the best method for me in this situation. The holding wrap does a good job of keeping the guide in place but with enough opportunity to make an adjustment or two.

Oh, and small single footers is one of those times that dressing the ramp makes a huge difference in how your wrap looks at the end of the day.

what kind of ink are you using to write on your blanks?
I've had good luck with "Dr. Ph Martin's Bombay India Ink." You can find it at Hobby Lobby etc.

I've also had good luck with metallic model paints but you need to make sure they are well mixed and properly thinned to use with a pen.

Both of these options seem to play well with rod finishes and mistakes can be easily "erased" with isopropyl alcohol if not left to set for a long time.

I'm sure there are many other ink, paint, and pen option that will work also.

For the last several years I've just had custom decals printed by Decal Connection and they turn out wonderfully. Although, I feel the need to point out that their finishing instructions do not yield the best results. The decals need a coat of matte clear krylon (or similar) for best results. DC is easy to deal with and can print any design you send them or they will create a decal to your specs.

At any rate, my skills in using graphics editing software is substantially better than my handwriting so I've settled on designing my own decals. I'm sure others with better writing will prefer the look of a hand labeled rod.

I've had good luck with "Dr. Ph Martin's Bombay India Ink." You can find it at Hobby Lobby etc.

I've also had good luck with metallic model paints but you need to make sure they are well mixed and properly thinned to use with a pen.

Both of these options seem to play well with rod finishes and mistakes can be easily "erased" with isopropyl alcohol if not left to set for a long time.

I'm sure there are many other ink, paint, and pen option that will work also.

For the last several years I've just had custom decals printed by Decal Connection and they turn out wonderfully. Although, I feel the need to point out that their finishing instructions do not yield the best results. The decals need a coat of matte clear krylon (or similar) for best results. DC is easy to deal with and can print any design you send them or they will create a decal to your specs.

At any rate, my skills in using graphics editing software is substantially better than my handwriting so I've settled on designing my own decals. I'm sure others with better writing will prefer the look of a hand labeled rod.
Yup...India Ink is what you are looking for. I got a whole kit off of Amazon in your basic colors. I get my lables made at Decal Connection. I feel they are very reasonably priced.

I just used a regular gel pen on the boo rod I refurbished. It came out really good...

It sure did.

IMHO - Nice script makes nice build even better although I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Paul Young rod... :)

Color me interested, what did you refurbish?

It sure did.

IMHO - Nice script makes nice build even better although I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Paul Young rod... :)

Color me interested, what did you refurbish?

I bought an old no-name boo rod on ebay as a winter project just to say I "built" a boo.;)

It turned out nice and looks good in my rod rack, although I did fish it once.

Back