Rod and Reel Brands

But it isn't the trend. I think you may have expected that or just read the last couple posts before your reply. Orvis got good positive feedback throughout the thread.

Personally, I cannot afford their high-end stuff, but like the company and have dealt with them in waders-- great customer service, incidentally.

I now own a Simms wader set and like them better than my years with Orvis, but I am not nearly as adventurous, reckless, or even prolific to say how much better of a value they are. I know I like their feel over the Orvis waders I've owned.

Also, I like their standard tippet-- Superstrong. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't buy anything else. Never owned their rods or reels, but if I hit the lottery, for instance, I would be inclined to shop every one of my new equipment "needs" with them. Except the waders, of course. I find the CFO reel irresistible in my lottery fantasy.

Anyhow, I just wondered why you lashed out at me (seemingly) when I noted the generally positive comments that had been made about Orvis in this thread.

It's $695, by the way. Your mileage may also vary...

Example: My favorite small stream outfit is a Cortland GRX 4wt 7.5' rod -- paid $59 new -- with a used Orvis Battenkill reel I picked up at a yard sale for $20. It casts better than my Sage VPS.

Greenghost. That's my exact go-to brookie set up. Well, mine is labeled a 4/5 wt. But yeah, 7.5" Cortland GRX with an Orvis Battenkill (bar stock) reel.

I have a spool of 5 wt line and 7 wt line for the reel. On the thicker streams where I'll be casting shorter distances, I spool it up with the 7wt. It's a great rod, and yes, IMO, will indeed stand toe to toe with rods that cost 4 or 5 times as much.

I'm not lashing out at you. I just think you generally have an opinion on everything and anybody who disagrees is spoken down to (see Off-Topic forum for details).

Well, don't carry OT angst over to fishing forums. I am not the greatest expresser of opinions on here, not by a long shot. If my initial response to your post was received as condescending, I apologize.

Interesting stuff above.

Checking your perceptions/biasses at the door and evaluate things for what they are rather than what they are perceived to be nearly always makes for a better purchase.

I read every post every day. Jack is always right in the OT, but in here (the FFing forums) he is sometimes wrong, or admits he doesn't know, and is much more humble and often even helpful and encouraging...IMHO.

Gary traded in his Olds for a Scion.....long ago.

pcray1231 wrote:
Greenghost. That's my exact go-to brookie set up. Well, mine is labeled a 4/5 wt. But yeah, 7.5" Cortland GRX with an Orvis Battenkill (bar stock) reel.

I have a spool of 5 wt line and 7 wt line for the reel. On the thicker streams where I'll be casting shorter distances, I spool it up with the 7wt. It's a great rod, and yes, IMO, will indeed stand toe to toe with rods that cost 4 or 5 times as much.

pc.... yeah, great little rod. I also have a 7wt for bass fishing which is awesome. It's a shame they don't make the GRX anymore. I'm sure they have a comparable blanks these days.... but I have heard Cortland is backing out of their rod line to refocus on their core business-- lines.

afishinado wrote:

Its a Honda, thank you very much.

And unless you traded it in....

k-medium.jpg

...glass houses, Afish. ;)

Parked appropriately close to the porta-potty.... :)

gfen wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Its a Honda, thank you very much.

And unless you traded it in....

k-medium.jpg

...glass houses, Afish. ;)

Nope! Toyota all the way!

This is my in my fishin' machine (below)

[size=x-small]Note: No fish were harmed in this photo (I steer around the redds and brake for carp & chubs)[/size]

Attachments

• Afishmobile.jpg
    Afishmobile.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1
It's mind-boggling to me that folks can actually make assumptions about a person's character based on the brand of gear they use. I think that says more about the one making the judgement than the person with said brand of gear...

If you like a store, the best way to keep it going is to buy something there. The local shop is usually the one to give good info and good service. It never ceases to amaze me when I see people buy their rods and reels and waders (all the big stuff) from some faceless virtual store, and buy a few flies and tippet spools from their local shop.

It's the holiday season....when you are looking to buy gifts, go to International Angler or your favorite local store and buy a gift for someone or for yourself.

Rods are just "tools'. Reels just hold line for the most part. Now throw lines into the mix and you get a ton of opinions. We all know about opinions. It's not the tools that make the craftsman.
GG

PatrickC wrote:
It's mind-boggling to me that folks can actually make assumptions about a person's character based on the brand of gear they use. I think that says more about the one making the judgement than the person with said brand of gear...

Mind boggling indeed. But target audience profiling based on demo-and-psychographic profiling is used in marketing for a reason-- it works. Assumption, presumption, and extrapolation -- foundations for the marketing industry since day one.

Well, I prefer not to judge anyone and just enjoy who they are as is. I could careless about their gear. And besides, I have no idea how they got said gear....could have been a gift. People prefer what they prefer and often what they had initially. And those things often change based on a multitude of factors.

I like the original topic here. It's interesting. But, I'll draw the line at judging anyone based on a brand and just let their actions speak for themselves.

It's stereotyping, plain and simple. i.e. it has a lot of truth in it, but there are enough exceptions that it's a very dangerous assumption.

For instance, picture a person driving a Dodge Ram. Now picture someone with a Toyota Prius. Most of us come up with a very different mental picture as to the character of that person (neither of them necessarily bad, but very different). That mental picture is accurate more often than not. But it's inaccurate often enough that we should not draw any conclusions from it.

I know people who own BOTH. Like our fly rods, different tools for different jobs.

I refuse to judge someone based on fly fishing gear....unless it's bamboo.

I refuse to judge someone based on fly fishing gear....unless it's bamboo.

And what do you picture when you see somebody fishing bamboo?

pcray1231 wrote:
Parked appropriately close to the porta-potty.... :)

Evidently the picture flew over your head:

Its the same colour scheme as a portajohn, playskool blue with a white top.

Hey, but don't worry Afish, they come in yellow, too:
pp-rental.jpg

pcray1231 wrote:
And what do you picture when you see somebody fishing bamboo?

FarmerDave..... :-D

Back