"Rocket Taper" ?

semperfish

semperfish

Newbie from Bucks County and new to fly fishing. I've been a "chuck & crank" angler my whole life. I'm not giving it up, just starting on a different type of angling. Glad to find a great forum like this. I'll be mainly creek fishing for smallmouth and panfish.

Here's one of my questions: What makes a Rocket Taper line different from a WF line? I'm guessing it IS a WF line, just a different, or heavier section on the downline end.
Thanks

semperfish wrote:
I'm guessing it IS a WF line, just a different, or heavier section on the downline end.
Thanks

You're correct. "Rocket" taper is usually associated with fly lines that are geared toward bass fishing or some specialty application where one would be casting fairly heavy or wind resistant flies. It uses the basic shape of a WF line but is a bit more agrressive - that is to say that the heavier front section is shorter and thicker. Keep in mind that these variations in fly lines are often subtle and, IMO, don't necessarily equal the greater prices of the specialty lines. Speaking as one who fly fishes a great deal for bass and sunfish, my personal advice would be to start out fly fishing (FFing) using basic WF lines. You will, of course, get different opinions on this.

Welcome to the Paff forums. This particular forum, the Beginner's Forum, is the place to ask basic questions. Enjoy your new foray into FFing.

Thanks FI....for the info and the Welcome Aboard.

actually, in the case of cortland its their trademarked name for "weight forward."

Fishidiot wrote:
semperfish wrote:
I'm guessing it IS a WF line, just a different, or heavier section on the downline end.
Thanks

Speaking as one who fly fishes a great deal for bass and sunfish, my personal advice would be to start out fly fishing (FFing) using basic WF lines. You will, of course, get different opinions on this.

i agree.

unless you are faced with stiff winds or the need for long distance casts, they are harder to cast as they need a much faster casting stroke, as you are 'punching' the heavy head out.

i'd actually start with a standard WF line too.

Back