Rock snot

jayL

jayL

All,

I fished the WB of the D for a few hours on saturday. Obviously I am concerned about the didymo, and want to take every step possible to ensure that I don't spread it.

I am voluntarily banning myself from fishing until the jam, and will be following some of the procedures listed here: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/habitat/ans/didymo/faq_didymo.htm

Does anyone have any other suggestions to ensure that I sanitize my stuff?

Thanks

I noticed on the PAFBC they don't mention using a salt solution to sanitize. I usually soak my stuff in a salt solution for about a half hour then let it dry in the sun until dry. I've been hearing lately that it must dry for 5 days to kill it. Seems like they keep changing their tune somewhat.

Hmm. I'll have to look into that. Do you worry about the temperature of the salt solution?

No I don't. I think the fact that you are soaking a freshwater plant in saltwater is what does it. You know Jay, since your waders already need to be clean, you should make a trip to the Gunpowder then clean your gear? Make the best of the situation.

I have two sets of waders and boots. When I fish a didymo river or stream, I change over to a new set when I fish in another place. I like having two sets, one is used as a back-up for leaks, and also, keeps you in the game if/when you send them back for repair. If you think you're near the end of the life of your waders and boots, get another pair and keep the old ones as spares/back-up/ Rsnot waders.

Tom,

I was going to do that, but I just spent my wader money on a pontoon!

Steve,

If I didn't have a wedding to go to, I'd be on the gunpowder this weekend. I miss that place.

Not everyone can afford 2 pairs of waders! Geez, I just retired my old "aquaseal" models.

Jay, I let my boots on the back porch facing the sun until they are baked dry. I've also heated some water up and soaked them in there for a little. It's got to be 140 or warmer. It's usually 1-2 weeks between trips for me so I haven't had any worries.

I know you're doing what you can to slow the spread but it's being transfered by waterfowl, etc, etc. Let's just hope it never runs wild in central PA.

When my waders and boots are nearing the end of their life, and I begin to patch them with Aquaseal quite a bit, I fix them up, but I buy a new pair (which I will need anyway) and keep the old pair as a backup and also for fishing rot snot streams. It's always great insurance to have a backup when your on a distant fishing trip. Also, I've had to send back waders to the mfg for repair or replacement and would hate to give up fishing because I have no waders. Ditto for wading boots.

I've found waiting until your waders are leaking like a sieve and can't be repaired is the worst time for buying a new pair. You may be on a trip somewhere and have to pay top dollar for new waders that you don't even like or don't fit well just to get back on the stream. When I know the time for buying new waders is near, I look for sales and closeouts to buy a decent pair cheap, before I'm forced to buy at full price. Actually I've saved money doing this. My last pair of Simms waders were at nearly half the price since the model was closed out, and my Orvis waders were replaced with a new pair twice! I haven't spent a nickle on waders in close to 4 years and have two serviceable pair that I use all the time.

I was using that system. Still kind of am, but both pairs of waders are now aquasealed. The old ones were useless before I patched them, and I have no idea if they are in working form now. I haven't tried.

I was getting dampness around the crotch area in my simms, so I just aquasealed them. I am hoping to get another year out of them, because like I said, I spent my wader money on the boat. Wish me luck!

afish,
I ended up with a new pair of G3's for $200! Met some guy online that bought them for a salmon fishing trip with his company. Owner died, trip cancelled and he was getting rid of the stuff. I got waders, flotant, 2 leaders, 2 spools of tippet and forcepts for $200 + 9 shipping. Now that's a deal. Still in box w/ tags on them. Now that's a deal.

I got my g3s for $120. They are the perfect wader IMO. I'll be paying full price for them when these go... assuming I can't find a deal again.

Dang! What did you do and who did you do it to in order to get that price?

The guidelines set forth by PAFB is pretty dead on and exhaustive on cleaning/drying methods. I was watching a FF show in TV the other day and was amazed at how bad Didymo is in New Zealand, where it originated. I mean it is really bad there.

When I was up on the west branch last week with sight_nymph I ran across a couple who were filling up 5 gallon buckets with rocks from the river. They said were taking them home to put them in their fish pond. Brilliant.

Afish, you are dead on man. Buy them before you need them. Needless to say, I did not get my G3's for less than $200 like jayL and sight!

Back