returning Atlantics to the Salmon River, NY

Was on the Salmon River 5 days thus far this Fall, 2 days were just nuts - fish everywhere, 1 day thoroughly enjoyable and steady, and 2 days were so-so. No cohos, browns or steelhead but more kings than I can count. They were incredibly acrobatic, more so than in years past. I had several that jumped 4 or 5 times before (a) I landed them or (b), and far more likely, I allowed a long line release. :lol: . I had several that cleared the water by several feet, straight up, one right next to me, an absolutely incredible sight with fish that large.

As to the restoration of the Atlantics in the SR, it would be a situation devoutly to be wished. I've caught them in Maine and Nova Scotia but quite a few years ago. The fight is like a combination of a steelhead, coho, and king rolled into one.

JeffK wrote:
I love the way Atlantics jump, they jump straight up into the air and will do it plenty of times. .

those 'look at me' jumps are typical of females. the males tend more to dog and roll, and the big ones head upstream.

sea trout (sea run brown trout) are a hoot too - they go spastic like a steelhead. jump after jump.

Back