Reel suggestions

boychick,

Line coil? Like I said earlier, invest in a good line and that won't be an issue. Sharkskin has little to no memory.

turkey,

I know. I unloaded mine for $$ and got new gear. :)

boychick wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been fishing an Orvis battenkill for years. It’s a good reel and I’ll continue to use it. Its major deficiencies are line coil and retrieve rate.

I’m planning a trip out West this summer and I wanted something that could handle big cutthroats in big water. I have a brand new Rio gold line still in the box. I’m good to go in that department.

Bill, the Orvis mid-arbor is a great reel. I use one for smallmouth fishing, its only down side is weight. I find it a bit heavy.

Seems like Lamson gets a lot of love from you guys, I assume for good reason. Has anyone had any experience with the Sage reels (1650 or 1850)? I like their pricing, but don’t know anything about them.

I have had a few Orvis BLA's (identical to Hydros except non-sealed drag) with issues in frame to spool tolerances.

Sage 1650 is pathetic and the 1850 is marginally better.

Lamson Guru is the sweet spot of the line up in what you are looking for unless you run across clearance Litespeed HardAlox.

Ross Evo LT is a very nice reel but it is a toss up between the Lamson Litespeed Hardalox, with the Evo LT being a bit more $ but more metal.

I have/had all of the above reels. I have little time on my Evo LT however it is based upon the Evolution which is a very much proven reel.

Yes, LA reel will keep line memory from setting in a little less than a smaller arbor, however all you need to do is stretch the line out, which is something that is not a bad practice. I do respectfully disagree on the Sharskin recommendation however as I have had quite a bad experience with it, as have a few other guys I know very well. You are good to go with the Rio you mentioned.

Seems like Ross, Lamson and Orvis are the clear favorites here.

I have the Ross Evolution and Rhythm reels and they are my favorites. I also have a Lamson Velocity HardAlox which I have not used quite as much, but it is a really nice reel. I have two Orvis reels as well which I also have no complaints about.

Basically, you really can't go wrong with any of these brands.

I decided on the Lamson Guru. The year end sale made it a no brainer! Thanks to all for their advice. Happy New Year!!!

Back