Questions about trout and warm weather

I think that deciding to fish a certain tactic before you get to the stream is a recipe for disappointment.

I fish dries if they're rising, wets if they're on emergers, streamers if the flows are good, and nymph otherwise. I've found a place for all four when the water is warmer. It depends on other factors.

Pretty much. I'll make the point that all waters are not the same temperature. If the water you're on is higher than 70, do stand down on the trout. You can choose to go for smallies, and thats a great option. But if your set on trout, there are other streams, and the stream one valley over might be only 60 degrees. In time, you learn which ones warm and which ones stay cool, and can fairly reliably guess at the temperatures on a number of streams based on the one you're on.

As for tactics, there's a slight correlation between dry fly activity and warmer water. Part of that is just water level, warmer water often coincides with lower water and dries often work in low water. But even besides that, trout tend to rise much more commonly when water is northwards of 60 degrees or so (there are plenty of exceptions to this, though).

I commonly go with an initial plan, like trying to time a specific hatch, to high muddy water with black streamers, or to freshly stocked rainbows with egg patterns, etc. But I do agree with Jay, it is vitally important to adjust to the conditions in front of you. Be willing to throw out that plan at the drop of a hat. Even the best of us sometimes make the mistake of stubbornly sticking to a plan that isn't working out. For instance, if you're after a hatch and even manage to time it right, but the fish are on something different, well, give it up and listen to the fish!

Do you then recommend 'muscling' in the fish soon after the hook set and netting them if necessary?

I recommend turning your rod and getting them to a bank as fast as possible.

I agree with Jay. Fishing any stream in the 70 degree mark should probably not be done. Just take a temp before you throw in and you will know. :)

Yep, the shorter the fight the better. Use as heavy a tippet as you can get away with for the conditions, but not heavier. :) Fight them as quickly as possible given the tippet strength chosen. Handle as little as possible and return them to the stream as quickly as possible. Nets can often shorten the fight a bit, especially on larger fish.

Just want to be clear:

I don't advocate purposely going to a stream to fish while knowing that the temperatures are in the 70s. In fact, with any reasonable alternative, I would find another creek. But if I fish all morning and into the afternoon with water temps in the mid or even upper 60s and at 4:30 PM they peak at 70, I will not leave the stream on that account alone, nor will I accept the idea that any fish I catch or even many of the fish I catch from that point onward are as good as dead. It just isn't true.

It's not, but "many" was appropriate IMO. I could have changed it to "too many" to be more in tune with your stance, but meh.

i have noticed pretty big differences in temps from the top 6" to the bottom at 5-6 ft , the sun doesn't penetrate real deep , ever notice the shallow water get the green algae before the deeper water

Meh? No comprende. I think it is good to warn people about the potential risk as temperatures rise, but not to overstate it either. Then it seems more like a scare tactic than reliable information, and you know how that has turned out for establishing other ethics. I usually know the first fish I catch how the water temperatures have effected them. If its fight is short, non-existent or weak, I become suspicious. It is no fun to catch lethargic fish, except maybe steelhead or salmon.

The upper lethal limit for brook, brown and rainbow are only a few degrees apart, I think 75-77 degrees or so. From what I have read, browns and rainbow are more or less equivalent, despite popular statements to the contrary. Of course, different local strains may make one superior to the other. Brookies are consistently reported lower, but by only a degree or so. Again, I imagine local variations occur.

The Upper Lethal Limit reflects the water temperature at which, if sustained for 24/48 hours (can't remember exact, but assume 24), the fish will die. At temperatures below that they certainly experience thermal stress. Their bodies are not designed to withstand heat even though they are cold-blooded. To protect the organs and other tissues, a chemical substance is released in the bloodstream. If sustained, this becomes lethal. I'm not sure if this is the same substance pcray expounds on, but you'll find the concept in the literature.

If you have the luxury, in any sense, to fish for trout only when there is little chance of incidental mortality, then asside from applying the most stringent landing and handling practices, never fish for trout above 70 or if the temperatures overnight do not drop into at least the mid-sixties. Beyond that is a matter of degrees until you hit the lethal limit, which depends upon no other factors, such as general trout health, dissolved oxygen, and fight and handling practices. Seen another way, the ULL can be effectively driven downward by any of these stressors.

Above 68 degrees troout have a hard time with their metabolism so it's best not to fish for them when the water is that warm or warmer. But many trout streams can be fished at daybreak with little impact if you know the stream.
As for limestone streams long hot spells do warm the limestone streams into the seventies so always check the water temperatures during heat waves.
If the trout act stressed they probably are. If you see several pools where fish are gathered and not moving much they are probably stressed, if they are holding at the mouth of a stream, they are probably stressed, if it's hot and there is a hatch in progress and the fish aren't feeding, they are pobably stressed.
This of course only applies to wild trout, if you want to fish a stocked stream catch all you can and take the limit home, they will die anyway.
When taking a temperature of a stream take it on the bottomas I always do, not at the surface. Take the temp at around 6 in the evening that will give you an idea of the highest temp during the day, taking the temp in the morning only tells you that a stream is cold during the early hours of the day, it may get too warm to even hold trout during the summer.

if water temps are 70 and fish are rising , do you go home or fish ? i haven't had a fish reel in this year yet on its side or feel soft to the touch , all been fighting and feeding well , only fishing early am and late pm though

I always stop fishing for trout when water temperatures hit over 70degrees.The only time I would fish hotter water would be if I was keeping the fish. I would suggest getting a thermometer to test the water. When the fish are exhausted and hard to revive it's a good sign that the water is too warm. I don't know about temperatures in limestone streams but I am familiar with spring creeks. They are usually fishable year round. I don't know about very hot summers and droughts though. May find out this year.
If you can't fish for trout you can get a better rush with Smallmouth Bass.
Tight lines

I think it is untrue that water is of consistent temperature in the stream. The stream bottom absorbs and holds heat. Shallow rocky areas with little current will be warmer than deeper pools for this reason alone. Shaded areas show another variation of water temperatures. I don't think it is more than a few degrees, but this can be crucial to fish comfort.

If the water gets warm (>20*C / 68*F) I chose not to fish for wild trout. In most PA freestone wild trout streams, the fish thrive in the cold and cool water seasons, and just hang on to survive through the warm water seasons, many times huddling up to find a little cool water to survive, or laying low and not expending a lot of energy. While it's perfectly legal to fish for them all summer, I prefer not to....

I think 70F is a good "cutoff point" for trout fishing.

In the summer, check the flows on the USGS site. And check the weather on a site such as weatherunderground.com.

When the flows are low and the air temps are reaching the 90s, conditions are generally poor for trout fishing. The great majority of the streams people talk about on here are going to go over 70F this coming week, if the weather forecast is accurate. We've got a real heat wave coming on.

I'm looking for a nice storm system to give us about 3 inches of rain and cool things off. Hope springs eternal...

troutbert wrote:
The great majority of the streams people talk about on here are going to go over 70F this coming week, if the weather forecast is accurate. We've got a real heat wave coming on.

I'm looking for a nice storm system to give us about 3 inches of rain and cool things off. Hope springs eternal...

I agree.
The next week looks to see some heat unlike anything we've had around here for years. The local trout creeks here in the SC part of the state are extremely low right now. The only good news is that the cool nights lately have helped. I checked a local ATW yesterday morning and although very low there were still large numbers of stocked trout and the water was 68 degrees. However, the temps forecast for the next week are likely to be mighty tough on trout. Usually the local stocked ATWs around here lose their fish by the end of the summer. I think this year it will be sooner.
Of course, spring creeks are holding up well. Falling Springs was 58 last week. When I checked the Run in Boiling Springs this morning during a TU work project, it was 58 degrees at about 11:00. The main stem Yellow Breeches tends to warm a bit. As of this morning, the YB has a good flow and was 67 degrees. Nevertheless, I'd stay off of YB in the afternoon at least until we get some precip and cooler temps.

I took a water temparature of 75F on Spring Creek at Benner Spring, at 6:30 pm today. There are probably many streams running warmer than that.

Troutbert,

How did the flows look? I can see the numbers, but I'd be curious to hear your take.

I've seen worse, but the flows looked pretty low.

I like to fish in the summer I fly fish, I fish mountian streams in PA , IF THE AIRTEMPS ARE 85% OR HIGHER FOR 5 DAYS AND I go to say Reese run, that water is almost always in the mid 60s it depends on where you fish shady areas and spring fed creeks are always good no matter what the air temps are,, now would i go to a more open area say slippery rock creek,, no way.. no tree cover wider water, so it all depends on where u go,, fish smart, you have to travel a bit to find the right place to cast,,,

Back