Question regarding Wild Brook Trout Enhancement Program

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

What's the status of the WBTEP streams? I looked on the PAFBC site and under Trout Stream Listings they have:
Approved Trout Waters
Class A
Special Regulations
Natural Reproduction
Wilderness Trout Streams...but no WBTEP?

I got this right off the website. I hope this help you.

CARBON
Jeans Run – From border of State Game Lands #141 upstream on Jeans Run to its headwaters, a distance of 2.5 miles, and all tributaries entering this portion of Jeans Run
FOREST
Minister Creek (Forest / Warren) – 5.0 miles; includes main stem and tributaries

MONROE
Kistler Run Watershed – Entire watershed, which includes 3.1 miles of Kistler Run and its tributaries
Wolf Swamp Run Watershed – Entire watershed, which includes 2.1 miles of Wolf Swamp Run and its tributaries

PERRY
Shaeffer Run – Tuscarora State Forest upstream on Shaeffer Run to its headwaters, a distance of 6.7 miles, and all tributaries entering this portion of Shaeffer Run

POTTER
Birch Run Watershed – Entire watershed, which includes 5.3 miles of Birch Run and its tributaries
Lyman Run – Lyman Run basin from the inflow to Lyman Lake upstream on Lyman Run to its headwaters, a distance of 5.3 miles, and including all tributaries to this portion of Lyman Run
Upper Kettle Creek Basin (Potter / Tioga) – 28.3 miles; from the main stem of Kettle Creek from the headwaters downstream to the confluence with Long Run including Long Run and all tributaries upstream to the headwaters

TIOGA
Upper Kettle Creek Basin (Potter / Tioga) – 28.3 miles; from the main stem of Kettle Creek from the headwaters downstream to the confluence with Long Run including Long Run and all tributaries upstream to the headwaters

WARREN
Minister Creek (Forest / Warren) – 5.0 miles; includes main stem and tributaries

WESTMORELAND
Camp Run Watershed – 4.1 miles; from the headwaters downstream to mouth and all intermittent flow tributaries

Also,
Open to fishing year-round (no closed season).
NewFishing is permitted on a 24-hour basis.
No brook trout may be killed or had in possession.
There are no tackle restrictions.
The regulations apply to brook trout only; all other species, inland regulations apply.
A current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit) is required.

I know the streams involved, rules, and their boundaries, but I simply didn't see WBTEP listed with the others on the Trout Streams Listings page. Where were they listed?
I just now typed in WBTEP with the search feature on their site and it came up "no results".

WBTEP ?

wildtrout2 wrote:
Yes, that's Wild Brook Trout Enhancement Program.

If you Google "Wild Brook Trout Enhancement Program" it comes right up.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/wildbrook.html

There has been some talk that the PFBC might do away with this, but that hasn't been done yet.

Thanks Dwight, I just wanted to make sure it was still in effect, as I hear changes might be on the way for this program?

It was on the agenda at the January meeting under "the Amendments to Chapters 61, 63 and 65 to Simplify and Consolidate Fishing Regulations." The recommendation by staff was to remove WBETP (section 65.13).

"Staff propose eliminating § 65.13 (relating to wild brook trout enhancement) in its entirety because based on peer reviewed and published scientific research on the waters within this program, staff have determined that this regulation is ineffective. If the program is eliminated, waters currently in the program will be distributed to other programs."

Unlike some other proposals, I didn't see a press release issued by the PFBC, so I'm not sure if the proposal carried or not.

salmonoid wrote:
It was on the agenda at the January meeting under "the Amendments to Chapters 61, 63 and 65 to Simplify and Consolidate Fishing Regulations." The recommendation by staff was to remove WBETP (section 65.13).

Correct. This topic has been discussed extensively here in past threads.

I edited the original post to reflect the topic. Using acronyms in title posts is often confusing. It's better sometimes to write things out. Not a big deal - just helps avoid confusion.
Thanks,
Dave W

wildtrout2 wrote:
salmonoid wrote:
If the program is eliminated, waters currently in the program will be distributed to other programs."
That ought to be interesting.

Management would likely be reverted to what it was before, i.e. state-wide "general" regulations.

wildtrout2 wrote:
salmonoid wrote:
If the program is eliminated, waters currently in the program will be distributed to other programs."
That ought to be interesting.

Management would likely be reverted to what it was before, i.e. state-wide "general" regulations, with no stocking.

Let's not ignore the elephants in the room:
The program was somewhat ill-conceived and a failure for all-- those that thought it would improve such streams and also those that thought it would be a counter-attack against people who thought regulation changes would make a difference.

salmonoid wrote:

"Staff propose eliminating § 65.13 (relating to wild brook trout enhancement) in its entirety because based on peer reviewed and published scientific research on the waters within this program, staff have determined that this regulation is ineffective. If the program is eliminated, waters currently in the program will be distributed to other programs."

Unlike some other proposals, I didn't see a press release issued by the PFBC, so I'm not sure if the proposal carried or not.

Does anyone know if the topic was discussed at the meeting, and if so, what was said about it?

JackM wrote:
Let's not ignore the elephants in the room:
The program was somewhat ill-conceived and a failure for all-- those that thought it would improve such streams and also those that thought it would be a counter-attack against people who thought regulation changes would make a difference.
What difference are you referring to, harvest taking a toll?

The whole program failed to produce expected results and, yes, harvest restrictions failed as well.

Actually, the program in total, produced the expected results.

here's the wbte study

http://www.cfr.msstate.edu/students/Wfpages/wfd/wf8273/2014/detar%20et%20al%202014%20brook%20trt%20CR.pdf

they didn't see an uptick in bigger brookies. they argue that the annual mortality of pa headwaters ST is high, perhaps 70%, with only a small share angler-related. mostly it's harsh environment. angling related mortality low due to low pressure and some voluntary catch and release from people who do fish pa headwaters ST streams. they gauged fishing pressure in part through use of trailcams.

Back