PROPOSED GUN REGISTRATION

BigHink66 wrote:
`(42) Pistol Grip- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

`(43) Threaded Barrel- The term `threaded barrel' means a feature or characteristic that is designed in such a manner to allow for the attachment of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5845(a)).'.

So, in other words, you just figured out that you were the one who was mislead. Based on your response above, it appears that you now have looked up some of these definitions and found that I was correct. In case you didn't, here is a good start.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

this second one is a link to the section 5845(a) which you mentioned above.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00005845----000-.html

It always pays to look the info and decide for yourself rather than get it from a one sided blog.

I agree that I am not a firearm expert, nor do i claim to be, and I do not not write as elequently as Jack, but nothing i said in my response was inaccurate. Instead of basing my decisions on a one sided blog, I prefer to go to the source.

Summary:

You said this.

"- Threaded Barrels (almost any bolt action deer rifle)"

I was right. Some guns may have threaded barrels for conpensators, but certainly not "most any." I think it is safe to say that very very few "deer rifles" have threaded barrels per definition.

"- Pistol grip (feature description inherant of most long guns)"

Definition of pistol grip in first link. Most long guns do not have them.

The last two (in the original message) were not all inclusive.

We all make mistakes, but my opinion was that your first message was misleading. I am intitled to that opinion.

Keep in mind I still have not stated whether I am for or against this bill. I was only responding to your commentary.

So basically the consensus is that this is not a law anyone wants to see passed in its current form. Anyone disagree?

1stfly wrote:
I'm going to contact my state rep and senator, if anyone knows of the website to find your state legislator it would be a good addition to the thread.

For the proposed 2007 assault weapons ban consider:
Turkey shotguns - many are semi-auto, pistol grip, have a threaded barrel for choke tubes, and some have telescoping stocks to adjust the length for individuals. Would this be an assault weapon? I don't think may bank robbers and terrorists are using turkey guns to break the law.

Additionally most crimes are not committed by the person that legally owns and uses the gun. When I worked at a juvie detention center MOST of the kids there had used or claimed to have used some type of firearm. Where did they get it? Stolen or bought on the street from illegal importers -- not going down the the gun shop and buying the firearm. How will my registering a gun prevent one crime?? Currently is it illegal for a felon to own a firearm -- why do we need more laws to enforce the current ones??

Here is the real question. Say a killing spree started using fly rods. (Yes I know - not going to happen, but follow along.) How would you feel about registering, fingerprinting, and paying $10 (yea that's not going to increase) for each rod to NOT prevent a crime?

1stfly, If you look at the bill and the definition of the terms, you will probably see that your turkey guns do not fit.

`(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip;

`(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

`(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.

`(I) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

`(40) Folding or Telescoping Stock- The term `folding or telescoping stock' means a stock that folds, telescopes, or otherwise operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of a firearm.

`(42) Pistol Grip- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

`(43) Threaded Barrel- The term `threaded barrel' means a feature or characteristic that is designed in such a manner to allow for the attachment of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5845(a)).'.

Now that I think about it, (40) ends the sentence with "firearm". The definition of firearm must come into play, so that also helps you.

(a) Firearm
The term “firearm” means
(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

I'm not sticking up for the bill. I thought the first one was a waste of paper.

I think this registration business is bogus...can i get an amen?

FD,

Show me how you are right. It says in plain english

Another thing,

Show me a bolt action rifle that is not threaded to the reciever.

Show me a semi auto shotgun that doesn't have a 5 shot capacity. Plugged doesn't count since anyone can remove a plug in 3 minutes.

Nothing in this bill is very descriptive, and by not being so, blankets many sporting arms that should not be considered "assault weapons". It is a waste of tax payers dollars and time since it doesn't in any manner have an effect on the real issue which is violent crime. And in being so vague, should be considered a sneak attack by anyone who has a horse in this race.

It is my personal opinion that these laws are initiated by legislators who don't know what they are talking about, are influenced by uninformed constituents, and are looking for "easy" solutions to problems that cannot be solved with this manner of legislation just so that they can say that they tried something. Even if it doesn't work and has no chance of working.

The whole purpose that they will say this ban is needed is for the protection of american citizens and to make the streets safer.

The only way to feasibly accomplish that is through increased penalties for actual criminals, education of children so as to rise from poverty, harsh enforcement of drug violations, and to keep the economy on the upswing and creating new jobs. Not through increased legislation or programs that give hand outs instead of hand ups. But as you can tell accomplishing these things is more difficult.

So again we have a legislator who introduces a bill that by disguise of at first seeming to be harmless to the honest Joe, but in reality takes his rights away and aligns them to be more reliant on their government an thus giving said legislator more power while putting his foot on honest Joes' head and holding him down. It also leads the way for further and increased restriction on OUR rights.

If anyone thinks that gun bans work just look to England, Wash. DC, and other places where they have initiated bans.

Anyways, I am starting to run long.

I apologize FD if I made a personal attack to you. That is not my intention. I merely wanted to put an issue in front of people that I thought they should be concerned about.

Even though I think we could disagree on a whole slew of topics, I don't see how your debate has been validated by your evidence.

Good Luck,
I'm outta here... for now

BigHink66 wrote:

Good Luck,

No need to leave because the gun debate has simmered, you could always talk Pennsylvania Fly Fishing with us.

Sorry Jack,

Not what I meant. I am not leaving.

I don't contribute much, I enjoy fly fishing but don't feel that I can offer much advice or tidbits of info in that category.

The gun debate I feel passionate about, I lurked on this site till I seen this thread and then joined. I feel that I know quite a bit on this subject and whether some want, will voice my opinion.

Anyways, I will continue to lurk on this site and keep any info I deem valuable and also to enjoy some of the pictures of streams and fishing.

Take care

Having nothing useful to contribute to the fly fishing topics never stopped me from posting. I apologize for assuming you just appeared for the gun debate. It does go to show you, though, just how sensational the issue can be in that it motivated you to register to voice your opinion. This is why I started antagonizing baetis on his post, because even though such things are tangentially relevant to fly anglers, they tend to bring out the worst side of us. I find it is best not to post on political issues if you aren't prepared for confrontational disagreements. Though they are my favorite kind of disagreement, the board host and a few other regulars don't seem to like them at all. Have a good fishing season.

This is getting old. I will try to answer all your questions in red. this will probably be my last response on this thread.

BigHink66 wrote:
FD,

Show me how you are right. It says in plain english

[color=CC0000]they are making a distinction between the stock and a grip. You can grip a stock, but it is not a pistol grip unless you can wrap your hand around it. Look at it this way. You can wrap your had around a strait stock as well, it still isn't a pistol grip. they are making a distinction. I agree that this part is written vague, but i also know that when a document is written vague, it goes agains the people who wrote it. unless you have an activist judge (which could happen). But there is other evidence. For one thing, a whole lot more guns would be specifically called out as being banned under the proposal. An AR 15 has a pistol grip. An AK-47 has a pistol grip. A Remington 1187 does not. If you think they do, then we will have to agree to disagree. [/color]

Another thing,

Show me a bolt action rifle that is not threaded to the reciever.

[color=FF0000]You need to look at the definition provided for threaded barrel, and follow it through where it references another document. Threaded barrel means for attaching a firearm as described in that other document. It means for attaching a silencer (for one example). You have to read it all the way through. They clearly do not mean for attaching the barrel to a rifle.[/color]

Show me a semi auto shotgun that doesn't have a 5 shot capacity. Plugged doesn't count since anyone can remove a plug in 3 minutes.

[color=CC0000]The rule says more than 5, as in 6 or more. How many are out there that hold 6 or more, currently in production?[/color]

Nothing in this bill is very descriptive, and by not being so, blankets many sporting arms that should not be considered "assault weapons". It is a waste of tax payers dollars and time since it doesn't in any manner have an effect on the real issue which is violent crime. And in being so vague, should be considered a sneak attack by anyone who has a horse in this race.

[color=FF0000]I agree that it is a waste of tax payers money. i said that about the last one. I also agree that much if it is written vague, but definitions are out there that explain much of it. It would be even more of a waste of money if they had to redefine these things every time they wrote a bill, and it is just not the way things are done. It is not the way bills are written, and not the way international standards are written (trust me on that second one). [/color]

It is my personal opinion that these laws are initiated by legislators who don't know what they are talking about, are influenced by uninformed constituents, and are looking for "easy" solutions to problems that cannot be solved with this manner of legislation just so that they can say that they tried something. Even if it doesn't work and has no chance of working.

[color=CC0000]agree 100 percent[/color]

The whole purpose that they will say this ban is needed is for the protection of american citizens and to make the streets safer.

[color=CC0000]agree 100 percent[/color]

The only way to feasibly accomplish that is through increased penalties for actual criminals, education of children so as to rise from poverty, harsh enforcement of drug violations, and to keep the economy on the upswing and creating new jobs. Not through increased legislation or programs that give hand outs instead of hand ups. But as you can tell accomplishing these things is more difficult.

[color=CC0000]That is one opinion. I also think it is the best way. My opinion is that they are treating the symptom, not the desease.[/color]

So again we have a legislator who introduces a bill that by disguise of at first seeming to be harmless to the honest Joe, but in reality takes his rights away and aligns them to be more reliant on their government an thus giving said legislator more power while putting his foot on honest Joes' head and holding him down. It also leads the way for further and increased restriction on OUR rights.

[color=CC0000]I shouldn't comment on this one, but i can't help myself. I doubt that is their intention in most cases, but it is all too often the result. So, in other words, I partially agree. SURPRISE!!! [/color]

If anyone thinks that gun bans work just look to England, Wash. DC, and other places where they have initiated bans.

[color=CC0000]It is a losing argument. We shouldn't go there. Englands crimes involving guns are way lower than ours. Washington is not a good example because of close proximity to areas with less regulation.[/color]

Anyways, I am starting to run long.

I apologize FD if I made a personal attack to you. That is not my intention. I merely wanted to put an issue in front of people that I thought they should be concerned about.

[color=CC0000]Well, when you said Jack was way more smarter than me, I took it personal (not really, he's a smart guy). No offense taken. I thought I deleted that part. I meant to.[/color]

Even though I think we could disagree on a whole slew of topics, I don't see how your debate has been validated by your evidence.

[color=CC0000]All I said was the original message was misleading. It was an opinion. I felt i supported it fairly well, but agree i didn't at first (my bad). You can argue all you want with it, but it is still just an opinion. You may still feel that I haven't supported it, and that is your opinion. If we still disagree, then we can at least agree to disagree on this. I will tell you though that you and I are basically on the same side on the overall issue. If anything i may have helped you better support your views on this subject. i hope I did. It is often the outcome of discussions like this. I know it helped me. i learned from it. this one seems to have more restrictions than the last ban. i could be wrong.[/color]

[color=CC0000]I hope not permanent.

Take care.

p.s. Forgive me for not using spellcheck. :-D [/color]

I wrote to both my Rep and Senator.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia elected the governor, but hopefully the representatives from the rest of the state can stop this useless and oppresive Bill.

Back