Prime Time for Big Bluegills

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Late May and early June are a great time fo target sunfish on a fly.

Many FFers wait till summer to target bluegills, if they do it at all. There's just too much great trout fishing right now. This is understandable. However, this time of year is when big bluegills are readily available along lake and pond shorelines. I stopped at a favorite public lake of mine on the way home from the jam and found large numbers of big 'gills right along the shoreline and they were eager to eat a popper or nymph. Dozens came to hand (and a bunch of small crappies too) and they averaged about 7" long - big hard pulling fish. By summertime, many large bluegills like this are in deep water. Don't forget your hemostats as bluegills have small mouths and tend to inhale flies.

If you have a pond or lake nearby, don't overlook sunfish in late May and early June. Big ones are easy to catch right now.

Attachments

• Bgil.JPG
    Bgil.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
I love fishing for bluegills !!!!! I love fishing for trout also but after the last month and A half carefully sneaking up on the stream , trying to make the perfect cast, getting the proper mend on my line , I need action, lots of action. Just letting the line rip and having non stop bluegill hits is relaxing and fun. And finding A pond that is loaded with gills I don't mind taking a few of the bigger ones home for A meal or two.

They're still around shorelines.

While I usually use a long 7WT for panfish, if conditions are ideal, bluegills are great fun on tiny fly rods for trout, such as the 5' shown below. Big 'gills will really put a bend in a tiny fly rod!

Attachments

• 12w.JPG
    12w.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 2
I love fishing dry flies for blue gills on my 3 wt. They love the black body x-caddis that I tied up for grannoms this year!

Fishing for Bluegills in summer time.
It is awesome and stunned, when water in creeks is low and action for trout slow.
Bluegills rise to my dry flies simply insane. I use 3W, longer rods (9.5 feet) so I can cast freely from the kayak.
[color=006666]~~~[/color]

Attachments

• Bluegill from Kayak.jpg
    Bluegill from Kayak.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 3
Back