Preferred Split Shot when Nymphing?

L

LLR

What is everyone's preferred split shot when nymphing? I have been using mostly the Super Doux Split Shot or the Blackbird Shot BB4 but it seems of late I have had some issues with the shot sliding up or down on the leader/tippet. Then I use the hemostats to crunch the shot back down to save time from re-rigging and you guessed it - this causes a weak spot in the line. I have had many line breakage this summer from this issue.

Just wondering what everyone else uses for split shot.

thanks

The past few years I've gone back to what I started with...water gremlin. Yes, they slide but I do not find them to be any more problematic than other shot except for Dinsmore. They usually do not slide much unless they get caught on something. I'm using 4X when I'm nymphing. They seem to slide more on 5X. To date I cannot remember a weakened line issue with them and I smash them down hard. Some will say that the ears on water gremlin impart a spinning or twisting action. I've pinched them on above streamers and watched the movement when stripping and have not noticed that or any twisting of my tippet. I would not argue with those that have noticed this though. Whatever, I do not notice a difference in catch rates with the gremlins. They are cheap, ready available and come in many different sizes as you probably already know.

The best luck I've had with the sliding issue is with Dinsmore. They are somewhat pricey if I remember correctly. Dinsmore is made of tin so they are a good choice for waters that do not allow lead but won't get down as fast. Dinsmore also makes an egg shot in camo colors for those who are afraid the fish are shot shy. They are a bit hard to get off/resuse but if you work at it a bit they will come off.

I use the old Water Gremlin "removable" split shot.

tungsten putty.

I use the camo shot, not cheap but have found it doesn't slip and it reuses well.

YUP GREMLIN...BB SIZE. CHEAP. ITS JUST A SPLIT SHOT.

+ to all above ^

Tungsten putty for a very small amount of weight, but Water Gremlin split shot for adding weight in deeper faster water.

I load up my box with some T-Putty and size #B and #BB WG and can weight my flies to fish just about anywhere.

Easy to put on, easy to take off, and the soft enough not to damage my tippet.

http://www.watergremlin.com/my-tacklebox/removable-split/

Split shot or putty? Yes, please....

Check out this good tip from George Daniel. It's his blog video from May 30, 2019 and should be the third article/video from the top by clicking this link:

GD's Blog

While I also use water Gremlin for larger sizes, I find that they are some of the worst in terms of staying in place. The Water Gremlins are a much softer lead than the others and they only have so much grip to them which doesn't improve with tighter pinching. The Super Doux and Blackbird are much better in that regard, with Blackbird being my go-to brand. To keep them in a specific place, whenever practical, I position them above knots in the tippet/leader or on dropper tags which may have an overhand knot on the end to keep them from sliding off. Sometimes, in very snaggy locations, I place them on a tag without a knot because I want them to to slide off if they hang up, thus saving my rig. Attaching shot to dropper tags also negates potential damage to the leader.

FWIW: Personally, I hate the coated Dinsmore shot. That crap can die in a fire.

Skook wrote:
Split shot or putty? Yes, please....

Check out this good tip from George Daniel. It's his blog video from May 30, 2019 and should be the third article/video from the top by clicking this link:

GD's Blog

Nice!^

I use T-putty and split shot together all the time. The putty can be added or subtracted to change weight to exactly what is needed in any given situation.

Another other tip for using T-Putty alone when just a small amount of weight is needed. Think spaghetti not footballs when adding T-Putty. Try twisting between your fingers a small amount of putty on your tippet and make it thin like spaghetti and it will stay on your line.

When heavier weight is needed in deep and/or fast water, I often use a size #BB (the slightly bigger shot) as my base. I can take off or add a size #B removable (with the ears) Water Gremlin shot to adjust it to get the perfect drift.

Often in the above situation I put the shot on the point (end) of the rig, tie an overhand knot on the end to prevent slippage, and add shot until I feel it tick the bottom.

The fly or flies are tied in on a dropper 4-5" long 8-12" above the point. A second fly on a dropper can be tied in 16-20" above the first dropper. This fly will cover the middle zone of the water column.

The lower fly will ride just above the bottom just above the fishes nose level, right above his eyeballs, as the shot string ticks along the rocks.

The shot will ride behind the flies, and best of all not have a tendency to hang up like a fly will. Plus the weight being behind the fly will form a direct connection without weight in between not causing slack between you and fish thus improving strike detection.

Another benefit to rigging your weight on the point is moss and weeds on the bottom most times are collected on the shot string behind and not your flies. Plus the rig with most of the weight on the point is easy to cast, tucks well, and is less likely to tangle.

Mess around with your rigs and give this all a try while tightline nymphing to fish the zone instead of using a bobber to float your fly above the bottom and at the same level on every cast, often above the fishes strike zone.

When tightline nymphing, along with weight adjustments, you are able to adjust depth with your presentation cast by using a tuck to get deeper or no tuck to run shallower. Plus adjusting your rod angle will allow your flies to run deeper or shallower as needed to hit the zone.

So try messing with your weights and rigs and adjusting your casts and rod angles. After some time on (actually in) the water you will begin to develop a feel for how to run your flies in the zone, and begin to catch more fish.

Good luck

Plenty of good information in this last post. Thank you.

I prefer Blackbird shot. I use it in sizes 1,2,3,4. Discovered this product about 10-12 years ago and have used it ever since.

Water gremlin or Eagle Claw size BB. It's just split shot, no need for fancy or expensive. I would like to buy more tin but lead sinks better. I think lead should be outlawed altogether. And that's coming from a shotgunner.

I carry the camo shot in assorted sizes, I haven’t used them all year tho. I’ve also been euro nymphing all this year, so I carry tungsten beaded nymphs from 1.8-3.8mm and adjust combination or my heaviest fly to achieve depth needed.

Back