Posted Poroperty Reg. on Elk Creek

mjv180

mjv180

I took a trip to Elk Creek today for some steelhead. Not much luck mainly due to large crowds and heavy pressure on the stream. But my question to you guys is does anyone know if Elk Creek is considered a navigable stream (via PFBC standards) because my friend and I were stopped, by another fisherman we assumed knew the private landowners, as we were fishing upstream. I was only wondering because I am an advocate for public access to fishable waters but at the same time I want to respect private landowners also. Any feedback would be helpful.

elk creek is not considered navigable and thats a problem with some areas that donny beaver has

Elk/navagational position is nonnavigable until the state courts rule it is other wise. There is some evidence that it could be but it would nullify the easement projects and alienate the property owners who have not signed an agreement with the state. The Erie access project is working on making the stream corridor open to fishing. It is the best interest to the government bodies and the local economies that these corridors are created. It is a slow oftentimes frustrating wait until the completion. But, the program is just a few years old and has opened fishing opportunities into perpetuity on many stream areas on the Lake Erie Tributaries. The fishery is what it is a monster and the "fishing in solitude for Steelhead is Pennsylvania" is quickly ending.

Contact the PAFBC Meadville office. There has been a rash of "fisherman" telling others the waters are posted and to move along. A fisherman/guide acting as an agent to the property owner is one thing, a false position is hampering fishing, and is an offense under the fish code. Get your facts from here:

PAFBC
Northwest Region Office
11528 State Highway 98
Meadville, PA 16335
(814) 337-0444

Back