Post fly monthly fly box

Smallstreamfly

Smallstreamfly

Has anybody subscribed to post fly company that sends you monthly flys and other gear.

Yup. I was subscribed to their trout box for about two years.

Good way to check out new patterns and load up on attractor patterns. Some of their nymph boxes have included some really effective and nicely tied flies in the past (golden stones, and other cool attractor patterns that I have caught a lot of fish on). Quality of the flies has always been superb as well. However, they did get slightly repetitive with some of the patterns they were sending out (sending out the same, if not similar flies during some of the same months every year), which wasn't a big deal, as they were effective flies that worked and good to have in my box. Good value for your money, in my opinion.

People don't seem to understand that the other "gear" they send you - be it nippers, a leader, indicators, a tape measure, croakies, sample things from other companies etc. are freebies, and a lot of people complain about what freebies they get in their boxes. You are paying for the flies, not the freebies that come with it...as well you also get a nice color pamphlet that runs through what flies are included and their uses and some fishing advice, etc. You also get a cool bumper sticker in every box too.

I recently switched to the trout fly tying box and I am not disappointed at all. January's box was an emerger nymph pattern with plenty of extra materials to go around.

Since we are all in PA on this forum, I would say they do a good job of covering a lot of popular east coast patterns, however, I imagine most of the flies are not as useful out west. I do believe they plan on rolling out the option of regional fly boxes in the future.

Also, their customer service is phenomenal. I have received free goodies from them in the past when things went awry.

They have a Facebook group call "The Tribe" that you can request to join and you can openly interact with the company's founders and marketing and client service folks. It is not a place to post complaints - just email them directly. Shipping does take slightly longer than usual sometimes (I've never had an issue) but I think they have made some improvements on that recently. They'll send you tracking information via email, and you will likely get your box towards the last week/week and half of each month.

I'm way too much of a control freak for that. I don't like the book-of-the-month or cheese-of-the-month clubs, either. I think it could be really useful for novices, however.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I'm way too much of a control freak for that. I don't like the book-of-the-month or cheese-of-the-month clubs, either. I think it could be really useful for novices, however.

For me when I was getting into fly fishing two years ago it was a great way for me to bolster my half-empty fly boxes with good patterns that catch fish. Also makes a good Christmas present when you have parents who know nothing about fly fishing. I switched to the tying box as I'd like to experiment with other patterns as I solely tend to tie nymphs and this will introduce me to other materials and techniques needed to tie dries and streamers.

By no means is this service for everyone, particularly not for more experienced fly fisherman who have loads of fly boxes filled to the brim with patterns that they never use. Yes you will get a box in the mail every couple months that might be disappointing, or not what you expected, but that's part of the overall service is the surprise of not knowing what goodies you'll get!

I would recommend buying a 1 month or couple month subscription before diving right in and getting a 6 or 12-month subscription.

Thank you for your input i was looking into and i just wanted to see if anyone else has done it and what they thoughg of it

Check out the new Precision Fly Fishing monthly box as well. A Pa fly fish member from the Cumberland Valley.

I've been a member of Postfly for a few years now. I look forward to the boxes every month. They can get somewhat repetitive, but I am sent flies I otherwise may have overlooked in my local fly shop.

Has anyone tried the tying boxes they send ?
Do they send barbless trout flies in there boxes ?

Has anyone tried the tying boxes they send ? Do they send barbless trout flies in there boxes ?

Yes Frederick - I have their most recent one, an emerging nymph pattern, but have yet to actually tie any up. Might try later tonight.

They do not include barbless trout hooks...likely to cater to a larger audience as not everyone fishes barbless hooks. That said, it takes a second to make a barbed hooked barbless with a good squeeze from a solid set of pliers.

I was given A six month subscription as A for Christmas of 2016. Being that I have been tying flies for over 35 years I really didn't know what to expect. There was nothing that was really new to me or that creative ,to me it was just ok. If you have been tying for awhile I don't think it will do you much good but for someone new to tying I see how it could be A real good product. My complaints are that I thought it was poor customer service. I had one box that never arrived. I called to tell them I never got it and was told they would send A new one. I never received that one either. I called again and was told they had no record of me calling before but they would send be another. Well I never received that one either. As for the facebook group " The Tribe " all I saw on that was people arguing about spoilers of what the box was or complaints. Maybe I am just to old for this stuff but it wasn't for me.

Apologies on waking this thread back up - but I recently switched to the new "Smitty's Fly Box" from the Postfly box after being disappointed by some of the more recent patterns and quality of materials, - had thread ripping on me, not a lot of materials, especially if you have to retie stuff (I was new to tying dry flies so I messed up a lot).

Link here: http://www.smittysflybox.com/

They have two different tiers of boxes, beginner and intermediate. I have received two intermediate tying boxes, and the quality of materials is top notch. All high quality, well known brand materials, good written visual directions + great step by step Youtube videos. They have a very low following right now, as they just launched a few months ago, but the service has been great. I'm interested to see how they progress as they get more members, but Smitty himself hand picks the flys or the materials himself currently.

My first box was an articulated streamer pattern, enough to tie 12 of them. It was $20 for the box, but I calculate it as a good articulated streamer as about $3-5 - so 12 x $3 is $36 so I already got my money back plus extra material. The new box I got today are copper johns - standard good fly to always have - and I think I can tie up about 25 flies with what is in the box - so 25 x $2 a fly = $50. A helluva deal with extra color options.

Just my thoughts and recommendation.

I have also been experimenting with different options for monthly fly fishing subscriptions. Postfly was where I too started but after time I ended up with a box of unique flys that weren't really catching anything. So I reached out the fly crate and got one of their boxes shipped over.

They are cheaper than the other options on the market and while some of the little dohickeys that they sent over were not quite perfect, the flies were great quality and the flies actually caught fish!

You can see the photos and review here.

Back