pond fishin

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Pat: lets go to Salmon River with our 3wts.

I made that joke in AK. We should have a tourney to see who can land what with a 3wt. It would be fun.

I hate to admit, in as mush as I fish quite a bit in the Western NY tribs I have not made it past the Oak Orchard area. I will make some time to get out to the Salmon one of these days. (And no, I don't fish the actual Oak Orchard...I could just fish Walnut Creek if I wanted that show ;-) )

I agree about the challenge....but I also have ADHD. I hate taking an hour to land fish. Not sure there is much way around that with a 3wt. Although, I suppose with heavy enough line you could essentially hand-line them in :-D

Pat....It's time to get you up there to enjoy all that fun. But take an 8wt or better, them salmon are monsters to handle. Mid Sept - Mid October are best.

I fish for king salmon in MI every year and in the other NY streams, I just have not been to the Salmon. I have a group of friends going to fish DSR in September, but they are taking the week off. When I realized how far away it is for me, I realize why they are staying for a week ;-)

Pat....Does the Manistee lake and river ring a bell? Caught me a nice 20lber when I was around age 25 there on the lake. Thought I had a snag until it started swimming away. I was using spin casting gear at the time. 8lb test with a small bass lure....took me a good 1/2 hour to get him to the boat only to find out my brother-in-laws net was way to small. we eventually got it into the boat.

Salmon River is around 5 hours drive for me....sounds like your on the west part of PA...

Yep. I usually fish Pere Marquette and Muskegon. My 2 largest on the fly up there are 30lbs. I need to get to AK in late June or early July and hit a 70lb nook to see what that's like ;-)

Pat I updated my post abit. Those are some great areas to fish. I was not used to the sandy taste of the salmon.

I'm about 1/2 south of Cleveland in NW OH ;-)

Back