Periodical Cicada

is the foam a single piece or a few glued together to get the correct thickness?

Not sure if this was for me or just a general question, but mine is a piece of orange foam doubled over on the bottom, and then a piece of black foam tied in on top. The foam at the head is pulled back over the wing tie in and tied back down to push the wings back over the body.

Tied a couple of the Loren Williams ones and fooled around with it a little on Valley on Friday. Had sme fish come and take a look but they prbably weren't sure if they were going to be the ones to be eaten. Should be intersting if/when the real ones start falling on the water.

I suck at spinning deer hair. But I've never been a fan of foam. I saw "Frequent Tyers" link to the Cicada-13 and gave it a shot. Hook size 6 and 8 3x

I did't have the right wing material and used Neer hair as a sub. I've been permanent markering synthetic material lately and find that it washes off. I think the wings could be darker.

Every time I look at a Cicada I see a blunt head, so I've been hesitant to trim the heads. As i tied I kept making the wings longer.

Any thoughts would helpful.

Attachments

• cicada_spinninglow.jpg
    cicada_spinninglow.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 2
Barry,
I like 'em. They look pretty tough and the profile as well as colors match the natural.

barrybarry wrote:
I suck at spinning deer hair.

Doesn't look like it to me. Nice job. Try a single edge razor to trim the spun/stacked hair to a smaller caliber and a bit more tapered.

Regardless, that dog will hunt.

Here are a couple I threw together with materials I had available

Attachments

• cicada1.jpg
    cicada1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 3
  • cicada2.jpg
    cicada2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3
hey guys im new to the forum but have been cruzing for a few weeks reading articles posts and the blog page i couldn't help myself and had to try tying one of these cicada's so here it is i figure what those fish are seeing is the big red eyes the legs and a large body that's what i remember about cicadas from the last infestation so here's what i came up with they are tied on size 6 hook i think i may need to fatten them up a bit on the next run but practice catches more fish and keeps me busy i'm hoping to lay into some carp i'm usually carping with canned corn this time of year around daybreak but haven't touched my river rod since i got this fly set up last fall i really enjoy carp fishing i used to fish them with an old 1:1 baitcaster no drag just alot of line and a good fight i'm hoping the fly rod will blow that away once i get into one or two im using a horton luckie 8'9" metal telescoping hexagonal rod with a 1094 reel running a 9' two piece leader with the butt being 36" and 8lb @.011 and the front being 72" and 6lb @.008 with aquanova 85wf7f and a good bit of braided backing so its gonna be a real test i guess i could always go to a 10lb leader but then i wont have to try so hard and wont get to practice my tying skills as often
P052413_023501.jpg
[/URL][/img]
P052413_0235.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Attachments

• P052413_0235.jpg
    P052413_0235.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2
  • P052413_0235[01].jpg
    P052413_0235[01].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
Back