"Pennsylvania Angler and Boater"

salmonoid wrote:
Back issues from 1998 to present are available.

And the treasure trove (IMHO) is every issue since 1930, available here. Also, each issue is searchable, so they must have done some rudimentary OCR on the documents; they're not just plain scans, which makes them even more useful.

Reading through some back issues, an angler creel survey on one stream I fish tallied almost 3000 wild trout harvested!!! And I think I'm doing well at catching 50 trout a day out of the stream!

It's just some articles in pdf from each issue, not the entire issue, correct?

salmonoid wrote:

And the treasure trove (IMHO) is every issue since 1930, available here. Also, each issue is searchable, so they must have done some rudimentary OCR on the documents; they're not just plain scans, which makes them even more useful.

Reading through some back issues, an angler creel survey on one stream I fish tallied almost 3000 wild trout harvested!!! And I think I'm doing well at catching 50 trout a day out of the stream!

Holy cow! The iPad just became an entertainment bargain.

troutbert wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

It's just some articles in pdf from each issue, not the entire issue, correct?

The legacy issues (pre 1995) are complete issues. After that, its articles only. I imagine they don't want to cannibalize their print sales too much..

Yeah - kinda forgot about old lefty writing good stuff for the angler too. I remember reading his pieces in quite a few other magazines also

What did you mooks think of Charlies fly in the latest issue?

I thought my 5 year old boy can tie better flies.... just my humble opinion though....

What's a mook?

derogatory term to describe an undesirable individual.
doubt if that was intended-lol

I understand my mug shot is in there twice this month, is that true?

jjsjigs wrote:
What did you mooks think of Charlies fly in the latest issue?

I thought my 5 year old boy can tie better flies.... just my humble opinion though....

I too thought the fly was a little peculiar. The gap between the body and the bead seemed a little odd.

I've never thought of charlie as being a great tyer.

However, chauncy lively had some real innovative patterns when he did the tying articles.
I cut out quite a few of them and still have them in a scrapbook up in the attic

i think PA angler & boater is a great subscription. it is all solid content w/ basically no ads, and includes articles about every different type of fishable water and covers every different facet of fishing. i do agree w/ some of you guys that the quality of Mecks' flies in the "fly of the month" has been declining steadily w/ each new issue. or maybe i have got a lot better at tying and can now notice a poorly tied fly from a well tied fly better than i could a year ago. just my .02 cents

Back