Penns Creek smallmouth!

P

pennsadventures

Tuesday Morning 2 friends made the drive up from lancaster to smallie fish with the fly rods on penns. I am a diehard flly fisherman for trout but never really went after smallmouth on penns. What a day it turned out to be. Everyone caught from 20 to 30 smallmouth each. Phillyfly and I both caught chain pickeral in the catch and release section just below the fish comish cabin (winter hole). You would be shocked at the number of smallmouth in the c&r section. Great day by all!! I would have pics but I let my iphone in my pocket while wet wading!! If ya get a chance chase the bronze brusiers on penns!

Great to hear. Lower Penns (and many lower sections of trout rivers) is known to be a smallie hotspot. SMBs with columnaris lesions have been found in Penns in past surveys. How did the fish look? Any sores?

I caught this guy in the C&R section 2 years ago . Tim Holschlag listed Penns as one of the top 5 smallie spots in the state .

Jambo003-1.jpg

Nice going Mat. Sounds like a lot of fun.

the fish all looked really good and healthy....was just shocked with the chain pickeral

I live 15 min from the lower section of penns and there are some really nice sized SMB in the area close to the susky. Down my way there is a lot more carp mixed in as well. Its a really nice summertime retreat for wet wading. congrats on the good fishing in the c&r area!

Last year we hammered SM in the C&R section of Penns. I'm fairly certain we landed well over 30 of them in a few hours if my memory serves. I also got a small musky (about 13 inches).

What a quality stream for all kinds of fishing!

thats why I made the move to live on the bank of it....you sure it was a musky

people don't believe about tank smallmouth being in penns but they are for sure there! This is just one of last year's I got into. I won't disclose to much but there's some proof for the ones that don't believe or haven't saw any of size.

Wow 12 years this post remained sleeping, waiting for the day it would be resurrected….

Wow 12 years this post remained sleeping, waiting for the day it would be resurrected….
That is the trend around here lately. When did this forum come online? 2004? I am going to try to find one from that year and bring it back.

Back