Panfish invading a trout stream!

Let us not be concerned with other's gear, least we be of our own. I have taken my 9 ' 10 weight down to PennypackPark just to practice.....The side effect is I catch fish with it. It's nice to try out homemade bass flies/streamers so close to home to see if they will hold up. Some of them I have trouble casting with my 3wt and even my 5wt. Best one I made so far was a streamer with brown and yellow hair and a green bead head. got a bit of everything to nail it. No trout in the creek at this time. Waiting to see if they stock it this fall.

A lot of the mixture of fish in any creek or lake is governed by a few other factors "Water Temp" and "access".

Heck, I'm not sure, by just looking at someone put gear into a car, if I could spot what weight their rod is! Length, maybe, but not weight.

And for me, anyway, my most commonly used small stream rod is 7'6" 4/5 wt, and I have 5 wt and 7 wt line for it. The smaller the stream, the more likely I am to use the 7 wt line!

I've never personally fished this one, but I know what stream it is and know plenty of people who have. I'd very likely use the 7 wt line on it.

PatrickC wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

I don't think that is funny at all except for your choice of the word "requires." I believe what is required is what you have.

BTW, a lot of us old timers would find it funny that anyone would think a 3wt or smaller is required.

If I offended you, you certainly have my apologies.

I sincerely doubt FD was really offended, but I don't know man...I remember you giving me crap about my choice of rod on upper Tea at the Jam 2 years ago. I believe it was a 6' 6wt Phillipson!

PatrickC wrote:

I don't offend easily, but thanks anyway. I was just busting your chops.

It did make me think about how I must have looked on Penns creek using my bamboo steelhead rod when I had a 5/6 plastic rod in my truck. I figured it was OK though since in my hands it really doesn't look like a 7 weight.;-)

But for your penance, if you ever fish at my farm, you will be required to fish with a Zebco 202 using garden hackle and a round plastic strike indicator for the first few minutes. The Zebco, and strike indicator will be provided for you.

But I would definitely feel better if you told me in a PM what crick you caught those browns in. Those were some nice fish.

FarmerDave wrote:
PatrickC wrote:

I don't offend easily, but thanks anyway. I was just busting your chops.

It did make me think about how I must have looked on Penns creek using my bamboo steelhead rod when I had a 5/6 plastic rod in my truck. I figured it was OK though since in my hands it really doesn't look like a 7 weight.;-)

But for your penance, if you ever fish at my farm, you will be required to fish with a Zebco 202 using garden hackle and a round plastic strike indicator for the first few minutes. The Zebco, and strike indicator will be provided for you.

I fished many a Zebco 202 in my childhood. It was my first reel on the Zebro crappie rod. I still have the rod. Not sure whatever happened too the reel.

As for the creek... I assumed you knew the creek based on where you live. You know all of the other creeks in western PA.

Just cause he likely knows it doesn't mean he knows which one it is. The description could fit a number of streams, no? You could describe my favorite stream to me, and I may not know that's the one you're describing.

I do think I know this one though, because my brother fishes a similar sounding stream that had a strange influx of warmwater fish this year. Can't be too many of those.

pcray1231 wrote:
Just cause he likely knows it doesn't mean he knows which one it is. The description could fit a number of streams, no? You could describe my favorite stream to me, and I may not know that's the one you're describing. ....

Thanks for explaining that ;-)

You guys are cracking me up. Thanks. :-D

And for the record, I did not know this one, but I'll admit that I should have been able to guess it. I definitely would have gotten it from Pats additions. Thanks for spot burning that, Pat.;-)

I think my judgement was clouded because it reminded me of something. All I could think of was an acquaintance in Western PA who expressed a desire to stock a beaver dam on a wild trout stream with bluegills and bass. I think my exact response was: "ARE YOU NUTS!"

backed off my description to be more ambiguous. Do the same with the quote.

"Are you nuts" is a question, FD. Did you not learn anything from 1wt? The man knew how and when to use question marks?

The_Sasquatch wrote:
"Are you nuts" is a question, FD. Did you not learn anything from 1wt? The man knew how and when to use question marks?

In this case, it really wasn't a question.

pcray1231 wrote:

You are too easy.

FarmerDave wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:

You are too easy.

And I was only referring to that fact that he actually explained all of that like I probably didn't understand prior to his explanation. Silly engineers ;-)

PatrickC wrote:

I fished many a Zebco 202 in my childhood. It was my first reel on the Zebro crappie rod.

Crappie rod? Don't you mean Tenkara and I did not take your 202. :lol:

FarmerDave wrote:

Crappie rod? Don't you mean Tenkara and I did not take your 202. :lol:

Nope, those long crappie sticks came out after that. I know exactly what you are talking about and glorified cane poles is all they were.

The original crappie rod Zebco did was the the precursor to what became all of those short Snoopy rods and what ever they have become today. When they transitioned to the long crappie rods, the Snoopy rod was born. I bet I got that thing in about 1975. It's at home on a book shelf. I'll have to photo the thing.

boychick, I just fished subsurface. Going into the day I thought it would mainly be a streamer kinda day, but it was a lot lower than I thought. Streamers and stained water provides great fishing on that stream and brings out all the big fish in the teens, but we were a day late. PatrickC hit it perfect. I was going to try some dries but I was having plenty of luck subsurface.

Streamerguy -

If this is the same stream where I met you briefly earlier this summer - biker fish and I caught several sunfish that day there also.
Doesn't surprise me. Flooding has impacted that stream a lot - a few of my favorite holes where drastically changed, or not even there any more.

Yep, same stream. That day we ran into each other was the last time I fished it(not counting yesterday). Didn't get any panfish then, but we stopped fishing once we ran into you guys.

There's definitely plenty of holes in that 2mi stretch that changed from the flooding. Some holes seem to have gotten better, and others seem to have gotten worse, but I'm fine with that. Keeps things fresh.

When the weather service says scattered showers that's really what they mean, it could pour at your house and a stream a mile away may not get any rain.

PatrickC wrote:

Did a little stream maintenance along the way as well. Just removed some sticks and branches from a few of the major pools.

Is this a common practice? How many of you all do this?

And what is the intended purpose/goal?

troutbert wrote:
PatrickC wrote:

Did a little stream maintenance along the way as well. Just removed some sticks and branches from a few of the major pools.

Is this a common practice? How many of you all do this?

And what is the intended purpose/goal?

I don't typically remove brush from a stream unless it is small and attached to my fly.

I noticed Pat had said that, but decided to pick on him for something else instead.;-)

Besides, he did say stream maintenance and not stream improvement.

I need to bring him along when the leaves are falling.

Back