PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

skybay wrote:
there are any rental places for canoe/kayak?

Not that I'm aware of, sorry. Perhaps you can borrow one from one of the members. No watercraft really needed, though, there are some decent areas to wade the River in the area.

One important thing, both the launch and take-out areas are PFBC access areas. All watercraft must have a PA Launch Permit or Boat Registration.

http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boathandbook/chap2_08_launch.htm

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2012press/bui-crime.htm

I have wanted to float the Vossburg section above that area but I haven't had the opportunity. I have a spare pontoon boat so if you don't have a boat and want to try it, it's available. I will likely make it an overnighter. If anyone wants in on this, give me a shout.

beeber2 wrote:
I have wanted to float the Vossburg section above that area but I haven't had the opportunity. I have a spare pontoon boat so if you don't have a boat and want to try it, it's available. I will likely make it an overnighter. If anyone wants in on this, give me a shout.

Beep,

A float from Mehoopany to Tunkhannock would cover the Vosburg stretch. A real nice float.

Af, thanks, that's what I had in mind. It is a fairly long all day float but certainly doable, provided that there is minimal upstream wind.

I've never been on the waterway so I have to ask... Is there any chance we'll see Whiteflies?

There's a VERY good chance we'll see white flies.

You may get some topwater action early and late, but under average conditions most of the action is likely going to be on a streamer or nymph. Start tying your minnows, crayfish and helgrammites. That's just my experience and your mileage may vary.

I'm in! Really looking forward to meeting some of you folks and putting some faces with names. Also, seeing some new water and learning a lot more about this WW game!

I fished the apple tree road launch section yesterday morning; from 1st light for about 3+ hours, untill it got too sunny/hot. Only caught one small one, had several tugs on my line but couldn't hook em. Another local there was fishing lures and did the same, although the day before he caught some nice ones and had a lot of action. It's a good wading area. The water was really warm, don't have a temp though. It was my first time there.
John

John,
Thanks for the report.

It is indeed a good wading section. I've fished it a few times with Afishinado and usually done well. I'd guess the water temps, by this afternoon, were probably in the mid 80s.

With respect to the poor fishing, I suppose it's worth remembering that smallies are "wild fish" and, just like wild trout streams, bass rivers can turn off and on. One day yuh slay 'em, the next day it's as if there are no fish in the river.
Don't listen to the oft made claim that you can "aways" catch huge numbers of smallies or - my personal pet-peeve - that "hundred fish days are common" on the Susquehanna or any other PA river. Sure, you can have great days.....but it isn't always great.

Dave, with all due respect, I think you can have a great day on the water every time you go out. You just can't focus on catching a hundred fish. :)

DaveS wrote:
Dave, with all due respect, I think you can have a great day on the water every time you go out. You just can't focus on catching a hundred fish. :)

Lol........Fishididiot is NO fish idiot! He has fun messing with Benny, catchin' bugs, takin' pics, Painting while wading in the stream (true story), as well as catchin' a fish once in a while. ;-)

Yep - true enough (both DaveS and Afish). :)

A question, so what effect does the warmer water have on smallies and their feeding activity? What temp is non-productive?
John

JF,
I'm a bit unsure on this.
As I mentioned in one of the water temp threads, I'm convinced that SMBs like warm water. In my experience, summer bass action is best in temps of about 75-85 degrees. My (limited) experience with warmer water has suggested to me that about 86-88 degrees is the upper limit and that temps warmer than this seem to inhibit SMB activity. I rarely fish temps warmer than this so am not convinced yet.

We need to do more research. :)

Incidentally, for those of you attending this event (or any event) where you'll be borrowing a kayak or floating as a guest in someone else's boat....be prepared to do some wading and wear appropriate wading boots. Just remember not to wear cleated soles if you're floating in a boat.

I have a very good chance of making this but Ill be wading :)
If no OT that weekend at work, I'm in!

I am really looking forward to this . Is there any details on how we are to organize the float . I am deffinitely floating :-D

Fredrick wrote:
I am really looking forward to this . Is there any details on how we are to organize the float . I am deffinitely floating :-D

I'll defer to Afish on this one.
When I organized the 2012 WW jam on the Juniata, I briefed most of the float details/safety etc on site when the crew had gathered.

BTW: I'll be floating the J today - wish me luck. :)

Back