Pa. wild trout creel survey report and some comments

Mike wrote:
Actually, we did check into this as you will now probably recall. we found more larger fish later in the season than we found before opening day at the wild trout electrofishing sites.

Mike, what was your explanation for this? Just growth of the fish? Or movement of the fish?

This study did not check into, or even mention, the degree of harvest of wild trout that takes place on STOCKED wild trout streams. Will that be studied in the future?

OhioOutdoorsman wrote:
....When I take begginers or go on my anual trip with my inlaws, they usually want some meat. So I take them to some stocked water, give them an ultralight with a spincast reel and a panther martin, and play stand here, cast there. We don't keep more than three and don't keep anything under 12" and cook them up that day. And having stocked fish that will probably die during the summer heat if they don't end up in my frying pan, allows me to do this guilt free.

You may think ill of me, but I don't think I'm all bad, especially considering I grew up gear fishing all summer in Port Clinton, OH where 50 perch and 6 walleye creels were the norm.
Ohio, I don't think anyone here would have any problem whatsoever with you harvesting stocked trout. That's what they're for, especially in streams where very few can survive the summer. Personally, I like the fact that there are a lot of people who do C&R stocked trout because there will be more for sport fishing longer into the season, but I certainly don't begrudge those who harvest within the law.

You may think ill of me, but I don't think I'm all bad, especially considering I grew up gear fishing all summer in Port Clinton, OH where 50 perch and 6 walleye creels were the norm.

Ohio, The only reason any of us would think ill of you is you are from Ohio. Actually, "ill" isn't the right word either. It's more like ... we feel sorry for you. :-D

P.S. I live in Ohio too, but am not from there. Now excuse me, its that time of the morning when I take the browns to the superbowl.

P.S. I live in Ohio too, but am not from there. Now excuse me, its that time of the morning when I take the browns to the superbowl.

Now that is funny. I'll think of that the next time I'm at Browns stadium standing in the rain with a half worn off beer buzz....

Back