opening day question

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Since 1990, I have fished the same spot outside Norristown with spin stuff. I will only fish that way opening day and will fly fish after my fishing buddy leaves.

What flies do I need to bring for stocked trout that have been seeing powerbait all Day?

On second thought perhaps thats a bad idea since the trout you will be fishing will be the few who refused over and over again, power bait, nightcrawlers, meal worms and whatever else they use.... I'd Probably try a bugger. Haven't fished opening day since I was 15.

You can't go wrong with buggers, san juan worms, hares ear and pheasant tail nymphs, green weenies, etc. If I could only pick one it would be a wooly bugger.

turkey wrote:
You can't go wrong with buggers, san juan worms, hares ear and pheasant tail nymphs, green weenies, etc. If I could only pick one it would be a wooly bugger.

^ there's a good list. Keep it simple. Buy a few of each and I'll bet you catch some fish. Good luck.

bigslackwater wrote:
Egg pattern!

No doubt!

Try egg flies or sucker spawn type clump flies in yellow, orange, and blue. I've found that if you drop a generic nymph with the egg fly that it will catch a good number of fish too, esp if the stockies have been in the creek for a week or more.

A selection of early season flies for SE PA.

Thank you...party time

Depends on what species they stock there. Egg patterns are dynamite on stocked rainbows. Not nearly as effective on freshly stocked browns, woolly buggers are better for this.

On brookies, just about anything CAN work, but preferences aren't as clear. Certainly, san juans seem to work better than they do on the other species.

Stockie killers obviously.

#10 glo bug for rainbows

#12 pheasant tail for browns

cigarette butt on hook for brookies

I kinda stay away from fly fishing on opening day...just to many people around. So I requested a vacation day for Monday, just so I can fly fish.

Alot depends on water conditions. If it's clear water:
#1 Bead Head Prince nymph
#2 Black Wolly Buggers
#3 Pheasant tail

Use a dry fly as an indicator with a dropper nymph.

Stained:
#1 Black Wolly Buggers
# Streamers

You really need to know if the stream you have has a good population of suckers. If so, egg patterns will dominate. Like everybody else said buggers, sjw, pts, caddis, caddis larva.

Try to figure out what natural food there is where you are fishing and use something that looks close to that , turn over rocks , watch for rising fish and then look for what they are eating. I have to agree with Turkey...........you can't go wrong trying a wooley bugger. I'm not sure what trout think they are but they love 'em. The most importent thing is HAVE FUN!!!

not to steal the thread but what would you guys try after fish keep seeing tons of flies one stream i fish gets pounded with fly fishermen and its getting tough there
thanks
adam

Adam PM and ill try and help you out if you give me some details

Back