Opening Day Poll

Option #1 was used to specifically see if any anglers here would think that such education efforts would be worthwhile, not to start an argument. So far, there is only one person who thought it a good idea, so there isn't much to dispute anyhow. Can't a guy just start a poll without his motives being dissected?

I picked the trash cans. I think that the garbage bags are theoretically a good idea, but would end up being trash instead of a trash collection device.

Instead of handing out the bags, I would take the volunteers and the bags and just do the cleaning myself. Perhaps in something like this, it is better to lead by example.

I go with trash cans, assuming they are closely watched. As Maurice said, the cans just end up being a small scale dumpster within a few days.

So far, there is only one person who thought it a good idea, so there isn't much to dispute anyhow.

Just FYI, if you're talking about the voting, I did not choose #1, I chose #2. But I still think #1 is a good idea, I think they're all good ideas.

If you're talking about the discussion, yeah, I'm on my own here. :)

When I talk to other fishermen about C&R many are baffled. But when I explain possibly fishing more and longer in streams most agree or have not even thought about it that way.

I really like the KIOSK at Lititz Run. It educates without "throwing it in anyone's face." Any Donegal TU members out there, I applaud you.

Most most just don't know. Growing up I remember filling my limit and being so proud of it. Many just have never really thought of things that way.

But face it, most keeper type fishermen are only out there April-May. Like this weekend, I will probably not see a lot of bait guys out there. ;)

Option #4:

I would use my resources to purchase and stock 5-10 trophy palomino's at every bridge in the state under normal trout regulations. I would feed them dog food for the 3 weeks leading up to opening day, then I would head out opening day and fish unmolested for miles in either direction of said bridge.

In all seriousness though, I would love to be able to setup a stand at some streams that have decent hold-over rates and have a few fish tanks with trout in different stages of the life cycle. This would at least grab the attention of kids out fishing with their parents and would afford the opportunity to hand out a pamphlet on what you can do to maximize the quality of the stream to ensure that the trout have a chance to thrive and grow. Don't underestimate the power of kids to annoy their parents into doing something like coming to a stream cleanup project after the first month of trout season.

Come on up unto Amish country and broadcast where the wild trout streams are. You will not be fishhing them next year as they will be devoid of trout...

If you could break through that first day mentality that way to many fisherman have ( i want my limit and want it now) then highlighting the wild streams would be a good thing.
I just don't have the much faith in many of the fisherman respecting the resource.

The amish heavily fished the stream I grew up on. Still plenty of wild and holdover trout.

Perhaps a less fertile brook trout stream would be a different story. I don't know.

Your lucky Jay, they just hammer the upper stretches of Oil Creek here. Luckily they shy away from the wild trout streams.

Jay and Bingsbaits -

Maybe a stupid question, but a little light just went on in my brain:

Do the Amish/Mennonites have to buy a fishing license?

dreamsofstreams wrote:
Jay and Bingsbaits -

Maybe a stupid question, but a little light just went on in my brain:

Do the Amish/Mennonites have to buy a fishing license?

Yes.

Pass out information about the fragility of wild trout and encourage anglers to limit their harvest on wild trout streams. Also show the difference between species.

I would promote the joy of bass fishing in the underutilized quarries.

Back