Opening day angler counts

Mike wrote:
pcray: A stream with good residency is an ideal one to float stock, meeting both your and my desires. The problem is that there are limited numbers of anglers willing to build float stocking boxes, tubs, or barrels and participate in the stockings. Anglers who desire to have the fish spread to a greater extent would benefit others and themselves by considering float stocking. I've even seen rubber rafts partially filled with water used for float stocking.

If anyone would like designs of the float stocking barrels that I have ripped off others and improved send me a pm. Works really well with low flows/shallow areas. These "boats" can easily be used by an individual versus the old wooden screen systems.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Maybe they could have sent us a letter inviting us to participate.
It's on their web site that they ask for help. A lettr to 800,000 anglers=$384,000. Not a good use of funds.

The last time I joined a stocking event, I did so out of a sense of obligation because the group organizing was calling out for volunteers. When I arrived near the stocking point, I was amazed at all the cars. I thought: "Why did they need to seem so desparate?" Then when I got to the area where volunteers were gathered, there were about one dozen-- all the other cars were anglers, staking out their position on the river, waiting for the volunteers to throw trout in.

I too would like to see the fish spread out a bit. Do some research. Some streams are stocked early (the ATW up the road from me was stocked on 3/1). Even the dumb, feeble stockies are smart enough and strong enough to spread out in a month's time....they'll float stock themselves.

But, if you want to fish at the bridge hole in a lawn chair, choose a stream that was stocked this past week (but get there early).

I volunteer to help bucket/float stocking in NJ, and it does help spread fish out. The problem is getting volunteers on a consistent basis. You have to be there before the hatchery truck shows up 100% of the time or you impact the hatchery truck schedule. Can't be a now and again situation - have to make a commitment. We have one guy who has a transfer tank on a pick-up that allows dozens of places the big trucks can't get to to be stocked.

Mike why do the paying anglers need to build the float stocking boxes? What are our licenses paying for. Frankly I refuse to help stock because if the fish commission can't get their crap together enough to stock what am I paying for. Complete and utter disorganization. So essentially you won't float it because that would actually require you to do something. Wow

Angler count - my own unscientific observation - was very low where I was fishing here in Adams/Franklin County this morning.

Although cold, I was at a popular state park ATW where I usually start the season and the number of fishermen has seemed to me to be dropping for years......but it really seemed like there were few fishermen this morning.

SNPbound wrote:
Mike why do the paying anglers need to build the float stocking boxes? What are our licenses paying for. Frankly I refuse to help stock because if the fish commission can't get their crap together enough to stock what am I paying for. Complete and utter disorganization. So essentially you won't float it because that would actually require you to do something. Wow

Your licenses pay for trout. Volunteer labor stocks most of the trout. It's not that hard or expensive to build a float box. Perhaps the reason streams don't get floated is because a certain segment of the populace refuses to help?

SNPbound wrote:

Wow is right!

You have no idea what you are missing SNP. We have an army of guys spreading fish out along our watershed using trains,(yes trains), tractors, float boxes, and trailers. If you want a better experience with remote fishing for stocked trout you should consider getting involved or begin a stocking program. Sometimes all the locals need is some organization.

Don't blame the F&BC, you get your moneys worth the rest is up to you to contribute through volunteer support or cash support of a volunteer org in the area.

Otherwise you may consider trading your license dollar for a gift card at Giant and just buy the fish. I mean really, whats it all about anyway?

Regarding angler counts...I got a call our own Mike K was prowling around downstream and was heading my way. I stuck around for a while and then fished a beat and never saw him. So they don;t get everyone.

Anyway, the area I was in has about 100 anglers, though I didn't count. There were people in all the green water, we found fish in between.

Great Day!

Counts:
Stopped by the Lt. Conestoga in Lancaster County today, looked less crowded than normal at least in the PPL area....lots of kids with parents and so (good thing). catch rates were low....1 or 2 here and there. water and air temps cold.

I don't fish any stocked water why should I pay for the trout Maurice? I am unable to get involved because of my work schedule being an average of 65 hours a week and having a family. Plus I don't eat the fish anyway. So Maurice why dot you enlighten me to what it's all about anyway since you seem to have all of the answers.

And if the float boxes aren't expensive why can't the commission build them?

My angler counts were just on Bald Eagle and S Br Muddy Cks today. Anglers said it was slow, yet I saw a number of anglers with fish and heard from a few others that they were catching fish, but that they were releasing their catches. Saw a nine year old who had walked in about a half mile with his grandfather. The boy caught the last fish of his limit at about 11:30. His Grandfather had three. The boy had traveled down from NY State last night to fish the S Br Muddy, which is float stocked. Here, as elsewhere, I believe that certain anglers enjoy float stocking. In this case float stocking is the only way to get stickies into a one mile wooded, isolated stretch that anglers clearly love to fish.

I have been float stocking for over 20 years now, and it is one of the most rewarding things I do and I am thanked repeatedly by veteran anglers for doing it.

The PFBC has the funds to raise the fish and get them to the stream, and now with the new DOT laws have even less time for drivers to be on the stocking run. If you are ok with dumping all the fish at the easiest bridge crossings, then so be it - please don't float stock.

Our boxes cost all of about $15 to build and last years. I must take personal days from work to do it, but being able to get my kids to a fishing spot that most people won't walk to is well worth it. We don't have many wild trout opportunities in our area, so for a quick fishing trip for a couple of months of the year, this is the only game in town. In fact, one of the areas we now float stock is only open to public access because we float it.

My buddy got fined one year for taking too long to put the buckets of trout in the water. They walked way downstream and out of sight of the truck on a small Pocono stream and when they returned the WCO took names and adresses and they were mailed fines, I guess for fish abuse, they thought they were stashing the fish for later, never had the heart to stock after that.

SNP , you're a carpenter, why wouldn't you build a float box?

bear, are you looking for any help im also located in butler?

DOT my butt, the frackers have all the time they need. why not the fish comm...that sounds like an excuse.( i was a truck driver and there are ways to do it) they don't want to pay drivers any overtime.

Sandfly

I agree that they probably do not want to pay OT, but you have to remember that labor expense is one of any organization's single biggest costs. That's why the call goes out for volunteers.

Back