Oops...

Plus, my favorite fishing hat is one I found one night. It was lying where I imagine some guy got scared walking out at/after dark, lost his hat, and was afraid to go back for it. When I found it, it was all muddy and smelled pretty bad. I washed it with my basketball clothes 3 times before I ever wore it because it smelled so bad. But, now it looks pretty nice for one of my hats; it even has the logo of a now-defunct fly shop on it, and it doesn't smell too bad as long as I wash it whenever I do my basketball clothes (once or twice a week). At least now when it stinks, it is from my sweat, not from the mud and other malodorous things it had picked up. Yeah, I'm a real tackle "model," all right. Speaking of basketball, at age 61 I'm off to compete against next year's high school players now. I'll be too darned tired to fish this evening.

I'm a short fat guy with a head full of prematurely grey hair (I'm 33 now first grey at 13, totally grey since 20). I still wear neoprene waders because I've owned them for 8 years and have only patched them twice and I fish all year round (when they finally go I will definitely be writing hodgman a letter of praise). The remarks about the guys looks were pretty much in jest from krayfish I believe and I know mine were.. I think its really cool to see people on the stream who look like your typical hood-rat because it breaks the stereotypes. Eric Stroup in state college probably has no clue who I am but I won't forget him. I walked into his shop after a little j cleanup a couple years ago dressed like my typical broke tattooed self and bought some odds and ends, admired the rods and asked about 413,952 questions while picking two dozen different flies that I could take home and make very poor copies of. Not only did he answer all my questions, he asked me a bunch about me and why,when, how I got into ffing. Then he did something that took me truly by surprise. He only charged me for one dozen flies and told me and my cousin to go grab a half dozen more each, free of charge. He said "we usually deal with people who are pretty well to do and its an expensive hobby to begin with, and it's really great to see some guys who don't think its a streamside fashion show". Plus he thanked us for pitching in at the clean up. I have to admit, I never felt out of place with a fly rod in my hand while fishing, but around other ffers, I felt like the poor kid in school getting reduced lunches, and knew that feeling all too well so I do really apologize for my remarks, it was a joke, but I really am better than that.

That's the problem with this site. No smiley for sarcasm.;-)

I once bought neoprene waders for steelhead fishing. the first time i used them, I tore a hole in them right below my left butt cheek. but I can't blame the manufacturer. Also lost a good pair of polarized sunglasses that day. I don't think i caught anything that day, either.

I don't wear neoprene anymore. It makes me look fat. :-D

IT's well known that the CT River has been the subject of salmon restoration for many years. When you buy a license you get a book with it, it's a very good idea to read the sections on the waters you're fishing.
I know that there are salmon in the CT R. drainage and I'm not from VT.

Back