One Word

"anticipation"
That's all fly fishing is. Your really not doing anything exciting. You just can't stop because you have a gut feeling that one more cast is going to get a fish. Thats how you go for hours just watching a fly or indicator float downstream. Then, when you go home, you think you know exactly what to do next time to catch fish, and thats all you can think about until you get back to the stream. That's how it is for me anyway. You can enjoy being on the stream and being outdoors, but that in itself isn't "fishing". You could just take a walk to do that.

“Education”
Fly fishing is a learning experience every time I am on the water. Every water has different hatches at different times. No mater how prepared you are there is always a new hatch. This past May I was fishing the First Fork Sinnemahoning ready with a full arsenal of mayflies. A so called “March fly” by the locals was hatching. It was a beetle looking aquatic fly, black with red legs. They were floating in the water joined at the rear of the abdomen mating. I tied on a Chernobyl ant with reddish brown rubber legs. When I tied this fly in December I had no idea it would be needed to catch top water trout. I cast to and caught every rising trout for two hours this day while others thought I was a trout guru. I went back to camp and tied a dozen of this fly for me and my friends. The rest of the trip I did not see the so called “March fly” phenomena again.

the Word

Humbling

Flyfishing allows one to engage in an art which requires grace and skill.

And to fall in the creek

It presents the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the world's natural places.

and to get lost in them

And of course, it can be an occasion to enjoy the camaraderie of one's friends.

who will never let you live down your screwups.

And what is more humbling than that?

And that's the word!

"Karma" works for me. Because fishing is an act that is stronger than passion and deeper than relaxation. It helps define who I am and my purpose on this planet. Sounds a bit out there and Zen-like, I know. But it's true.

Ubiquitous.

Everywhere I go, there is something that seems to relate in some way to fly fishing.

Sublime :-D

technique

"Ridiculous"

I spend a ridiculous amount of time and money trying to catch fish (often ridiculously small) that I don't eat. I catch ridiculously few on my ridiculous looking flies. And I have a ridiculously good time.

Back