Ok here's my take on is it wild questions.

Maybe some of this has to do with the areas where you do most of your fishing. In some areas, wild trout in the streams outnumber the stocked trout by a pretty wide margin.

In those areas discussions about whether fish are wild or stocked, and about how the wild trout population is doing on particular streams is just part of the normal fishing conversation. It's not a "game" or any kind of big deal at all. It's just a basic part of flyfishing, I think.

n those areas discussions about whether fish are wild or stocked, and about how the wild trout population is doing on particular streams is just part of the normal fishing conversation. It's not a "game" or any kind of big deal at all. It's just a basic part of flyfishing, I think"Quote

does seem to be a bit obsessive here.:)

Over 40 years of flyfishing for trout I never heard or saw anyone act like it made a diddly after the first week or two post stocking.
Could be I was listening and looking in all the wrong places.Once in a while someone would mention hold over.
But it's a fun discussion if it can generate a little heat without anger.

In the past people caught lots of wild browns, but didn't know that's what they were catching. They called them "holdovers" or said, "that one's been in there awhile." They were catching wild trout, but thought they were catching stocked trout.

This is still the case with many fisherman. There are still quite a few people who do not even know that there ARE wild brown, that such a thing exists.

But more people are learning about which streams hold wild trout, which ones don't, and learning to tell the difference.

Spyder...nice "brown" :roll:

That is a brook trout. That is not a brown.

When you wake up at 4:30 every morning and stay up past 11:00 PM, you can come up with new and amazing comments to make one self seem more clueless than normal! Nice picture of the brook trout anyway. Yes, Dahh, I get it!

I do actually have pics of wild browns. I'll get my computer son to help me size them up so I can can share them.

jayL wrote:
Wild trout provide a more rewarding experience in every way. IMO of course. I am not above catching stockers, of course, but I consider myself a wild trout fisherman.

I have friends that are new to the sport and agree. We camped on an ATW opening day, then left for BFC to fish. Fish were caught in both streams by all parties. Everyone agreed that the wild experience was better.

It's mostly the location, not the fish. The fact that the fish are prettier, stronger, and act more naturally is a plus though.

I think this sums it up perfectly. I just don't derive any sense of accomplishment from standing over a bunch of stocked trout and casting to them until one of them decides enough is enough, and takes your fly or whatever you might be throwing at them. A native/wild trout doesn't play that game.

And for the record, I enjoy folks posting pics and asking if their trout is wild or not. I always seem to learn something from these posts.

Ansell Adams sp? the famous photographer , who named his cabin "Fontinalis" said it like this , "Wild brook trout live in beautiful , wild places , they are the most beautiful fish in the world"

Since we're quoting...

[color=0000FF]"More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." -Charles F. Orvis[/color]

Funny, no mention of the trout needing to be wild to complete the experience... or are we to assume automatically that makes up the balance of the experience? :)

Brook Trout are God's way of reminding us everything is going to be alright.
I dont think god uses stocked brookies to remind us either ;-)

so...

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
-- Tony Blake

LOL, well is tired it up this time. Are they does or bucks??? LOL

Back