nymph fishing for small stream PA winter brookies

I really like those Echo Rods, but not too many places sell them.

Didnt cast well until I tried overlining my 7'6" echo carbon 3w a bit...

Yup. Absolutely, having 2 flies on there makes casting more difficult. But really not considerably different than an indi + nymph, IMO. Heavier line weights help a lot.

That's the only reason that I always say dries are more effective, IF they're rising to them. If you get them aggressive, they'll hit dries or nymphs just the same. The single dry fly, because of the easier casting and ability to float over obstructions, thus increases your range. And range in those situations is priority #1. But there are times, such as sometimes during winter, when they will not rise to the dry on a regular basis, and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Pcray: Do you mean use a dry as an indicator? And if the brookies start hitting the indicator/dry fly, drop the nymph?

Precisely. It works brilliantly. However, you have to have a bushy dry that floats well, and you can't use too much weight below it. Or else your dry will simply sink and fail to be of use as an indicator.

Dry dropper fishing is the only way to fish a small brookie stream. If you think you catch alot of fish on a dry, wait till you start fishing with a nymph too!

In these temperatures though it doesn't make much of a difference, those streams as some others have mentioned are mostly if not entirely freestoners and they get cold. When the fish get this cold their metabolism drops significantly, they move to deeper winter holes and they hardly move at all for flies. You need to wait until we hit a better stretch of some extended mild weather.

Back